A Thousand Veils

by D. J. Murphy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LyzzyBee of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 1/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, January 25, 2009
KAcquired via LibraryThing 19 Jan 2009 - from the author

I got talking to the author's wife about how to spread the word on a self-published book - I often wade in to suggest contacting local BookCrossers etc. She kindly agreed to get a copy to me via Amazon.

This is an amazing book. First off, unlike so many self-published books, the writing is excellent and the editing and proof-reading spot-on, so none of those winces as you find yet another glaring error. The book, although a novel based on fact, reads like non-fiction - which is not a problem as some of the events are quite astounding and might seem unlikely in a novel.

The book centres on the relationship between Charles Sherman, a Wall Street Lawyer, and Fatima Shihabi, an Iraqi woman poet and journalist who has come onto the wrong side of Saddam Hussain's secret police. As Fatima forges her own destiny and starts to escape persecution through her own strength and intelligence, Charles is trying to help her from America, alongside her brother. Charles' life is stressed and shot through with survivor guilt from 9/11 and the pull between his partner, Sarah, and his work, and Fatima does not believe that America truly means to help. Both have their lives and attitidues changed in this fast-paced and heartbreaking book.

There are some upsetting and vivid scenes around 9/11 and human rights abuses (it was nearly too much for me and I had to slightly skim some fight scenes) but these were horribly necessary for the validity of the book and its story. This dark side is redeemed by the strong thread of love and humanity, and not least by the feisty figure of Fatima's daughter Latifa.

An important and moving book but also unputdownable. I will be offering this to the BookCrossing community on a BookRing shortly.

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, February 22, 2009
BookRing!

Rules:

1. Journal the book when you receive it
2. Try to read it and send it on within 1 month
3. PM the next reader and send it to them - make a release or journal entry on the book so we can all see its status
4. If you have any problems reading the book in time or getting hold of the next reader, please PM me or use the email address on my profile!

PARTICIPANTS:

Peamartian UK (UK)
Snoopy56 UK (tbc)
lidlekiwi UK (UK)
Scotsbookie UK (UK)
Wyldetwo UK (anywhere) <----- it's here!
Heaven-Ali UK (anywhere)

Released 10 yrs ago (4/4/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book is being released for the Never Judge A Book By Its Cover release challenge 2009 Week 13: Author's name begins with M, D, or K, Release # 29.

Posting to Peamartian today.

Journal Entry 4 by PeaMartian from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, April 10, 2009
Received with thanks! Now I have yet another book to choose from, as I plan to spend the long weekend curled up reading - hopefully this will give me a chance to catch up on the stack of bookrings that has accumulated recently...

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by PeaMartian from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Well, it took me a while to get to this book as I had a stack of other bookrings to go at first. When I finally opened it up properly about a week ago, I found that I really struggled with it. In the end I have given up trying to read it after about 70 pages or so, in the interests of "keeping them moving" (plus so many books, so little time, etc).

I was really attracted to reading the book by the blurb on the back, and the chance to learn more about life in Iraq, but somehow the book just didn't work for me. I found the style of writing (not quite fiction, not quite non-fiction) to be distracting. I do like to read both styles, but not at the same time. The very opening of the book was promising, but then it pretty soon went into a large chunk of backstory that seemed to go on for way too long for me.

I'm sure that others will love this book, but it simply didn't work for me.

I've PM'd Snoopy56 for an address and will post on as soon as I get a reply...

Journal Entry 6 by PeaMartian from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Posted on to Snoopy56 last week...

Journal Entry 7 by snoopy56 from Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, June 25, 2009
I will endeavour to get on with this asap.

Journal Entry 8 by snoopy56 from Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009
I'm not sure what it was that prompted me to sign up for this bookring, since I don't participate in many, but I'm glad I did. I agree about the comments on the style of writing being a cross between documentary and fiction but I think that gave the story more immediacy which would have been missing in stict novel form. I would imagine the author would be a very interesting speaker.
Sending on to lidlekiwi

Journal Entry 9 by lidlekiwi on Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Hi, the book arrived today. I have a few bookrings/rays ahead of this.... so I will not be able to read it straight away. I do look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by lidlekiwi on Sunday, November 29, 2009
I read most of this book. I liked. I just have had it for far too long. I have been soooo busy, i just can't see myself finishing the book any time soon, so I am sending it on to the next reader.
Best of luck! xox

Journal Entry 11 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Arrived safely this morning.

Journal Entry 12 by scotsbookie at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/10/2010 UTC) at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Many apologies for having this nook so long. It's now on its way to wyldetwo.

Journal Entry 13 by wingwyldetwowing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2010
This book arrived yesterday, I had forgotten all about this bookring! Will try to get to it soon.
Thanks scotsbookie!