Good to a Fault

by Marina Endicott | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781551119298 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 25, 2009
The SO received a $250 gift card for Chapters from his boss for Christmas. Lucky Duck! But hey, if he wasn't sweet enough to buy me a book with it. I selected this one. Thanks Hon!

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, March 20, 2009
This book was short-listed for the Giller Prize and more recently won the 2009 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for best book. I'm not so sure that this book is deserving of such prizes. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed reading it - all 369 pages. I would have happily read more. In fact I thought there was more - I was right disappointed when what I thought was the next chapter turned out to be the author's "Acknowledgments". I really hate when that happens - not being prepared for the ending and then finding out, oops, that was it.

I was also disappointed in the editing or proof reading or whatever should have happened to ensure there were no, for example, inadvertent duplication of words in the same sentence. That happened in a last stand-alone sentence of a chapter, making the sentence nonsensical. To wit, the last paragraph of chapter 29 is: "Then there was was longer to wait." I could not for the life of me figure out what that sentence meant. Should there have been a different word in place of the second "was" or was there just one "was" too many? Sloppy. And I thought there was some spots of sloppy writing too. Not enough to keep me from reading, but enough for me to think the author could have done a bit of rewriting here and there. I couldn't help thinking the author had got lazy or just tired of the whole thing.

Interestingly though I was able to forgive the sloppiness; it sort of added to the charm. Here was one woman, who'd never had kids, who no doubt up til now had her home just as she liked it, "parenting" three youngsters and a belligerent grandma. Probably she was too exhausted at the end of the day to get her words and thoughts in order.

What attracted me to this book in the first place was the cover blurb by Elizabeth Hay, "A wise and searching novel about the fine line between being useful and being used." I like to think of myself as a "good" person, one who does good or kind things for the sake of doing them, not for any type of reward or recognition, other than it makes me feel good to do them. I like to think I do things without regard for the worthiness of the recipient. However, when I am honest with myself there are times when it pisses me off when the good thing goes unrecognized (like letting the bus in and the driver doesn't blink the lights, or giving every cent of change in my pocket to a panhandler who then scoffs at the paltry amount. "Jerk", I mutter to myself.) So am I a good person? Is anyone?

I didn't think Clary was such a good person. Yes, she took a bunch of strangers into her home, disrupted her whole life to do so, spent a ton of money doing so, and for little thanks. But it was not gratitude, in particular, she was looking for, although she did become irritated when it was not forthcoming. Her motivations were much more complex than mere doing good for its own sake. She "did good" in spite of herself, in my opinion.

Endicott's characters are wonderfully drawn, the children in particular (you can't help loving Dolly). Darwin, Clayton, Moreland, Mrs. Zenko and Mrs. Pell too all ring true. Some of them I'm not too keen on, including Clara and Paul, but I feel I know them enough to be interested in what happens to them if not to be my closest friends.

A good read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Grant Park Shopping Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, July 02, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/2/2010 UTC) at Grant Park Shopping Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

just outside McNally Robinson's patio, propped up against one the potted cedar trees.

This book was released for the 2010 Canada Day release challenge (running June 25 - July 4) in celebration of Canadian books and authors.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know or even release it back into the wild as I did. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!

I hope that you enjoy this book by a Canadian author. Happy Canada Day!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, July 16, 2010
I found the book near McNally shortly after the person above left it there; I've been reading it slowly, and am enjoying it quite a lot. It is easy-to-read, wel-written and the like.

I am, however, leaving in a few hours on holiday in Europe. I will hopefully finish it on the way there, and I intend to leave the book in the airport at Paris. Enjoy, next person!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, October 30, 2010
A great book, the ending, although, left me a bit unsatisfied. I guess I expected something a bit more dramatic. Also, the part between the climax and the ending is a bit too long. Other than that, it's really worth reading.

Journal Entry 6 by wildhamster at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, October 30, 2010
A good book, not 5 stars but worth reading. Very engaging.
See previous Anonymous comment.
I think Clary is a good person, everyone has her needs that are not satisfied completely, and her need to share her life & her love is very commendable. I do not know how heartless should one be to take away kids while she was visiting Lorraine at the hospital. May be it was the only way without a painful confrontation? Thank-you is such a simple thing to say... Clary basically saved her life...
what do you think?

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, November 05, 2010
Haven't read it yet but will