Rainey's Lament

by Elizabeth Ridley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by seethroughfaith of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 1/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, January 25, 2009
THE TIMES
'Humour, historical flavour, political astuteness...'

Product Description
Abandoned by her 15-year-old mother at birth, Rainey McBride is looked after by her ageing grandparents in small-town Wisconsin. Love is hard to come by and Rainey develops a fierce loyalty and love for her cousin Ambrose, who, like Rainey, feels a complete misfit.

Bought for 75p in MINDS MATTER (Charity shop for mental health) in Ashbourne Derbyshire

Journal Entry 2 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, March 03, 2009
This is a truly lovely book. Not quite finished it ...

Journal Entry 3 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, March 07, 2009
This is a brilliant read. I enjoyed it that the main characters were Americans with Norweigan descent. The author caught that so well.

The end was not quite what I expected ...

Journal Entry 4 by seethroughfaith at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (3/8/2009 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Releasing this woman Rainey in honour of international women's day. Hope my friend enjoys this as much as I did.

Journal Entry 5 by potok-fan from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
STF passed this on to me without comment, and I'm afraid my first thought was, "It looks really depressing." And it didn't have a BCID in it, so I wondered - had it been bought especially for me? Was there a message in here somewhere?

In the end, stf admitted that it had a BCID but she'd forgotten to write it in, and sent it to me by email. Now every time she sees me she says, "You still haven't yet journalled that book you think is depressing." :D Sorry! And sorry I said it looked depressing. (But it really does.)

And thanks for thinking of me on international women's day!! :) From one international woman to another...

Journal Entry 6 by Potok-too at Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 16, 2018
I moved to England and changed my BC name from Potok-fan to Potok-too. This book came with me, but since the move my fiction consumption has dropped dramatically. We have another house move coming up, and I need to cull my possessions, so it's time to set this book free.

Thanks again, stf, for thinking of me. I hope this book finds a new reader who is enchanted by it!

Journal Entry 7 by Potok-too at Larders at The Old Warehouse in Louth, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/18/2018 UTC) at Larders at The Old Warehouse in Louth, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

In the windowsill beside an outdoor cafe table.