Greyfriars Bobby (Penguin Popular Classics) - Different Cover

by Eleanor Atkinson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0140622012 Global Overview for this book
Registered by madmadge of Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
I've heard the story of Greyfriars Bobby which is a true one about a little terrier who is so devoted to his master that he keeps watch over his grave for years. There is a lovely picture on the front of my copy of a little shaggy dog with melting eyes gazing lovingly at somebody out of the picture - I would imagine it's his master, Auld Jock. Aaaaaaaah Bless!

From back cover:
Shaggy-haired and boisterous, Greyfriars Bobby is 'a merry little muffin of a terrier' inseparable from his owner, Auld Jock, a simple, kind-hearted shepherd. When Auld Jock dies, worn out by too many cold winters, Bobby is heartbroken.

Dogs are banned from the kirkyard but ever courageous and resourceful, Bobby determines to win over the dour caretaker Mr Brown and achieve his heartfelt desire of lying on Auld Jock's grave. Many adventures follow and there are numerous obstacles to be overcome, yet Bobby never fails to keep his vigil on his beloved master's grave.

Based on a true account, Greyfriars Bobby was written for adults but is equally popular with children, its warmth and universal appeal making it one of the best-loved of animal stories.

Journal Entry 2 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, June 11, 2010
What a glorious book and so moving! I almost lived inside that tiny terrier's head through all his trials and tribulations throughout which he remained loyal to his dead master, Auld Jock. Bobby reminded me so much of my own little terrier, Gemma, with his loving ways and loyalty.

Who would have thought that one small dog could change so many people's lives, especially those of the tenemant children who had little to laugh about until he arrived in the kirkyard. His fame spread far and wide and touched the hearts of so many people, high and low.

The book is based on a true story and I wonder whether there really is a memorial to Bobby in Edinburgh. If there is, I would love to see it one day.

Journal Entry 3 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, June 21, 2010
Going on a very small ring:

Sardonyx
BokOrm09

Hope you both enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/29/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Posting off to London tomorrow (30 June) on a very small ring.

Journal Entry 5 by Sardonyx at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 06, 2010
The book has arrived safely (even if it took awhile to journal because of my holiday). I will read and Journal it asap!

Also thanks for the cute little bookmark/clip

UPDATE - 20-08-10
Quite a quick read but very enjoyable
It was very moving. There were both happy and sad moments. And it makes me want to go to Scotland to see the statue of Bobby.

Journal Entry 6 by Sardonyx at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/22/2010 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Posted to BokOrm09 2 days ago :) Enjoy

Journal Entry 7 by BokOrm09 at Chelsfield, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
The book has arrived and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks to Madmadge for organising this ring and Sardonyx for sending it on so quickly.