Queen of Dreams

by Chitra Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0349119414 Global Overview for this book
Registered by rapturina of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 1/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Bought this book on Amazon.co.uk while I was actually looking for something else - that always happens to me! :D

I've read several other books by Chitra Banerjee Divakuruni and I'm a big fan of her style of writing. I hope this one will be just as good as the other ones!

From the back:
"I dream the dreams of other people, so I can help them live their lives. Rakhi's mother once spoke those words to her daughter when she was a young girl. But now Rakhi is an adult - one in need of help to live her life. An artist and divorced mother living in Berkeley, California, she is struggling outwardly with a world in transition. Internally, she is torn between the lure of her mother's past in India and assimilation in modern America. But then, after her mother's death, Rakhi discovers her dream journals, writings that prise open the long-closed door on her past, divine her identity and bring new colour to her emotional landscape. She begins to discover, as her mother innately knew, that 'a dream is a telegram from a hidden world'. But not everything about Rakhi's present is hidden. Cultural obstacles at odds with modern 'American values' - whatever they are - see Rakhi and her friends branded as 'terrorists', a label that launches them into a nightmare they could never imagine. Around their story, Chitra Divakaruni has woven a vivid and enduring dream; one that reveals hidden truths about the world we live in."

(Reserved for Two Worlds Virtual Bookbox)

Journal Entry 2 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, February 07, 2009
I finished reading this book almost in one day, I liked it so much! It was a gripping story and I just love the way Chitra Divakaruni tells it. Her style has a slightly dreamy, magical touch to it, and she knows exactly when to reveal details to push the story forward, without revealing too much. And even though not all mysteries are solved at the end of the book, it still gives you a sense of closure.

Journal Entry 3 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, February 23, 2009
Sending to okyrhoe today, happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Arrived today in Athens. Thanks so much rapturina for sending it to me!

(It's one of my selections from the Two Worlds Virtual Book Box started by loveamystery.)

Journal Entry 5 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, November 07, 2009
(reserved for my comments - coming soon!)

Journal Entry 6 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, November 07, 2009
Reserved for the Contemporary Asian Literature VBB started by ApoloniaX.

Update Dec. 1: Selected by Annimanni!

Journal Entry 7 by okyrhoe at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/9/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Finland, for Annimanni. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 19, 2009
The Queen of Dreams has arrived in Finland :) Thank you Olga - and a special thank you for the Christmas card and the lovely Christmas ornament :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 27, 2010
What a treat this book was! I loved the dream-like, magical atmosphere of the story and the delicate style - there was just something very Indian in it, although it can also be read as a universal story of the mother-daughter relationship. I sometimes lost my thought reading the excerpts from the dream journals but that sort of added to the dreaminess :) It was also interesting how the author sometimes used the first person and sometimes the third person to tell Rakhi's story. I'm not sure why she chose to do it like that, but it did work very well. I'm glad I chose this from the Asian VBB!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 01, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/2/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Next off to ApoloniaX. Hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 11 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, March 15, 2010
My selection from the third round of the Asian VBB just arrived in the mail! This seems to be a real VBB-book... so I'll make sure it will travel again in a VBB when I have read it.
And thank you so much for the wishlist book, tea and chocolate that came along with it, Annimanni!!!

Journal Entry 12 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Monday, June 13, 2011
Part of the book I found very interesting: the political and immigrant aspects, especially the aftermath of 9/11, its impact on the ethnic communities. Other parts I couldn’t really connect to – the dream parts seemed too esoteric for my taste and only pseudo-Indian, more like some Californian New Age stuff. At times I found it a bit tedious to read, for example the chapters about the “Queen of Dreams’” training in the caves. There were quite a few loose endings / unanswered questions, that left me unsatisfied with the whole plot and I wish she’d have written more about the man in white, Emit Maerd, Jona’s abilites etc. All the relationships are well outlined and great to follow though. Still a good read.

Journal Entry 13 by wingApoloniaXwing at Asian First Page VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/5/2011 UTC) at Asian First Page VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Chosen from the Asian First Page VBB
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by megami-no-ushi at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Tuesday, November 15, 2011
This was one of my choices from ApoloniaX's most recent VBB and one that I look forward to reading, hopefully over my long winter break! It certainly looks like I've made a good choice.

Thanks for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 15 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 05, 2012
Somehow I didn't journal this over the summer when I read it on the plane. I really enjoyed this book and want to read more by this author. I really liked the juxtaposition of the dream journals and Rakhi's life.

This book is returning to Canada with my mom next week to be shared with the Calgary bookcrossing group.

Journal Entry 16 by megami-no-ushi at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/12/2012 UTC) at Brattleboro, Vermont USA

Passed to my Mom when she came to visit and went home to Calgary with her. Once she's read it, it will make the rounds of the Calgary meetup group.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 17 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 04, 2013
OOps - I did bring this back for my daughter and then it got in the wrong pile, without a journal entry, so I will read it before our next meetup to pass on.

Journal Entry 18 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the meeting at Cravings to see if I can find a new reader for it. I see I never wrote about this. Interesting intercultural book about interpreting dreams, relationships between family members, cross cultural issues, finding a road to success and how to fulfill the dreams.

Journal Entry 19 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 14, 2013
Looking forward to the read. I don't think I read very many India-based books, so I hope I enjoy this.

Journal Entry 20 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 13, 2013
I finished this book today and thought I should journal it before I forgot it. It was an absorbing story and I loved how the dream world was depicted as so mysterious and yet a part of all of our lives. I will admit... I wanted to smack some sense into Rakhi at times and those "at times" we're common enough I got frustrated reading the book. Lots of loose ends at the end. Not really a "fluff" read.

Will be brought to the next Calgary bookcrossing meet up and hande off to whoever wants it next!

Journal Entry 21 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2013
Grabbed at get together!

Journal Entry 22 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 06, 2015
This book really drew me right along. I liked how it switched back and forth between the diary and their current lives. There are a couple of issues in the book that I'm not sure how I feel about how they were laid out - they seemed to flow less naturally than the rest of the book. But I liked the transformations which occurred with the different characters, and quiet enjoyed the incorporation of art and home.

Thanks for the interesting read!

Journal Entry 23 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together

Journal Entry 24 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2015
Picked up at the November 2015 Calgary BookCrossing Meeting at Cravings.

Journal Entry 25 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 20, 2020
Picked up at our annual post Christmas brunch. It was one of several books being returned from another BookCrosser.

Since this book has been traveling internationally, I may give it a try before taking it to a future meet-up.