The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes)

Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 1/18/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, January 18, 2009
This book is part of The Lost Book, a project within a reading campaign celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle's 150th birthday on 22 May 2009. The hound shown here is Watson, one of the main characters in The Lost Book web series. He won't have to deal with a murder investigation, but it has a stolen book to uncover.

We'd like to start a bookray for The Hound of the Baskervilles - to get as many readers as possible for Arthur Conan Doyle's shaggy dog tale. If you'd like to join, PM with shipping preferences. The book is a light paperback: ~160g (~6oz) with only 209 pages.

From the back cover:
The coroner may have ruled death by natural causes. but Sherlock Holmes knows there's something more sinister behind Sir Charles Baskerville’s demise. The question is, could he really have fallen victim to the legendary phantom hound, the curse said to have haunted his ancestors for generations? Or is this the work of a very real and calculating murderer?

Terrifying, thrilling and addictive - this celebrated tale of chilling murder, played out on the bleak, eerie wilds of a West Country moor, never ceases to enthrall generation after generation.

Bookray
Nell-Lu, UK (Int)
pinkydinky, UK (Europe)
jellyfish67, UK (shipping prefs not known)
Jozebedee, UK (UK)
kingfan30, UK (Int)
NMReader, USA (USA/Canada)
rockyhorror1978, Canada (Int)
Wandering-B, Hong Kong (int)

Bookray complete!

If you enjoyed this and would like more Holmes, we also have bookrays for The Sign of Four and The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. PM with shipping preferences to join.

Journal Entry 2 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 12, 2009
This is great fun! Holmes sends Watson off to the West Country on his own, to investigate a suspicious death. Watson's narration is in a variety of styles, including extracts from his diary and letters to Holmes. He uncovers a complex story with lots of clues - but only Holmes is capable of interpreting them all.

I'll post this on to pinkydinky as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 3 by Nell-Lu at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 12, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/12/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to pinkydinky - happy reading!

"The Lost Book" postcards enclosed for everyone on the book ray so far.

Journal Entry 4 by pinkydinky on Friday, February 13, 2009
Wow that was fast. And what better day to receive a book to read - it's my birthday today!! Will read when I have finished my current book. Thanks Nell-Lu

Journal Entry 5 by pinkydinky on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Fantastic. Have seen a couple of T.V. adaptations of this but have never read it before. I really enjoyed it. Lots of clues along the way. Watson providing most of the clues and Holmes interpreting them.

Journal Entry 6 by pinkydinky on Saturday, February 28, 2009
Sent to Jellyfish67 today.

Journal Entry 7 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 05, 2009
Arrived safely yesterday.

Journal Entry 8 by jellyfish67 at on Saturday, March 20, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/20/2010 UTC) at

Sorry for the delay, now on it's way to next reader...

Journal Entry 9 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Received today - thanks jellyfish67 :)
Got another book to read before this, but should get to it pretty soon.

Journal Entry 10 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 29, 2010
Loved it! I've not actually read this book before, although I have seen the film so know what happens. Can't beat a good old Sherlock Holmes story!
Thanks to TheLostBook for including me in this ray!

Released 10 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way now to kingfan30. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 12 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Book arrived safe and sound, have a couple ahead of this so will get to it as soon as I can.

25 April 10 - This is the first Sherlock Holmes book I have read and I really enjoyed. Not too heavy going, with lots of twists and turns to keep you interested. Will be looking out for more to read.

Journal Entry 13 by kingfan30 at Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (4/29/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

On its way to NMReader

Journal Entry 14 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, June 21, 2010
This book arrived in Sat's mail. Looking forward to reading - always love Holmes.

Journal Entry 15 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 15, 2010
I thought a status update on this book might be appreciated.

I have been reading this book for the last two days. I am at around page 70. Dr Watson has just left with Sir Henry for Baskerville

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 18, 2010
I justed finished the book. I enjoy Sir Athur Conan Dooyle's writing. I have read this book before but he is always a joy to read.

I do sometimes think that Holmes is somewhat unfair and unkind to Watson.

I enjoyed the book. I have already addressed the envelope and sealed it. I'll drop at the PO tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, July 19, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/19/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will drop at the PO on the way home from work.

Custom Form: LC885443216Us

Journal Entry 18 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 29, 2010
Arrived safe and sound today! Thank you to nmreader for passing it forward!

I just have to finish my current read and then I will start this book!

Thank you to the Lost Book for organizing this ring!

Journal Entry 19 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 01, 2010
This is the second Sherlock Holmes book I have read. Considering this book was written over a hundred years ago, it is still as relevant today as it was then, truly timeless. Sherlock Holmes, as a character is quirky and fun to read. Watson is a great sidekick, who is patient with Holmes for his somewhat unorthodox approach and admires his keen sense of observation. The original dynamic duo!

I will get this book in the post ASAP to Wandering-B. Thank you once again for this bookray!

Journal Entry 20 by rockyhorror1978 at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, August 05, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (8/3/2010 UTC) at Charlotte, North Carolina USA

This book has been passed on to Wandering-B who is currently visiting the USA. It has been sent airmail so it will reach her before August 20. Enjoy!

"Anyway -- because we are readers, we don't have to wait for some communications executive to decide what we should think about next -- and how we should think about it. We can fill our heads with anything from aardvarks to zucchinis -- at any time of night or day."
— Kurt Vonnegut

Journal Entry 21 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Received and looking forward to reading it. Have a few in front of it but it should not be too long. Thanks to all for sharing.

Journal Entry 22 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, August 30, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. I think I will ask for the collected works for my private collection. Awaiting the next address so it can move along. Thanks so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 23 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Wednesday, September 01, 2010
tokorua asked to be skipped, now I'm waiting to hear from the next on the list

This one is now going to go on as a continuing ray as soon as I find a few more readers!