From Time to Time

by Jack Finney | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Hayes13 of Roma, Lazio Italy on 1/14/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Hayes13 from Roma, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, January 14, 2009
I hope you will let me know where and when you found my book and, especially, what you thought of it.

Spero che mi farai sapere dove e quando hai trovato il mio libro e, sopratutto, il tuo parere.

Journal Entry 2 by Hayes13 at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Released 14 yrs ago (10/27/2009 UTC) at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom

Sending this on to Scotland for a lovely Swap with a Discworld book!! Thank you Rainbow3!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 3, 2009
What a surprise I was still at home yesterday mid-morning, despite not intending to be, and what a happy circumstance that was, as this book, with its partner, the novel preceding it, TIME AND AGAIN arrived from Rome. Holy smoke, Hayes13 that was speedy!

Equally speedily I’ve started whipping though the first book, and feel I want to go slower so I can savour it better. Also I had best contact Nell-Lu so she knows it’s arrived and I’ll want to pass it to her within the next couple of weeks. Cheers again Hayes13, oh and I recommend your getting hold of THE HOUSE ON THE STRAND by Daphne du Maurier, which has in some senses a similar time travel theme.

Brilliant cover, I love the Flat Iron building, though I didn’t manage to see it on a visit. This reminds me though, that I have an astonishing black and white photo of it somewhere, I always meant to frame. Wonder what happened to that…

Journal Entry 4 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 29, 2009
Book cover: THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER – JACK FINNEY’S LONG-AWAITED SEQUEL TO HIS CLASSIC ILLUSTRATED NOVEL ‘TIME AND AGAIN’.

“It makes for a thrilling voyage.” – Karen Heller, THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER.

Simon Morley, whose logic-defying trip to the New York City of the 1880s in Time and Again has enchanted readers for twenty-five years, embarks on another trip across the borders of time. This time Reuben Prien at the secret, government-sponsored Project wants Si to leave his home in the 1880s and visit New York in 1912. Si’s mission: to protect a man who is travelling across the Atlantic with vital documents that could avert World War I. So one fateful day in 1912, Si finds himself aboard the world’s most famous ship… the Titanic.

“Finney takes us on an ebulliently guided tour of old New York.” Frank Rich, THE NEW YORK TIMES, BOOK REVIEW
“In more ways than one, reading Jack Finney will transport you back to a better time.” Michael Dirda, THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD

Jack Finney is the author of more than a dozen books. He died in 1995.
-----------------------------------------------------

A wee internet search found out that Jack Finney, an American, (aka Walter Braden Finney) was best known as the author of The Body Snatchers, a film based on this book was called The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. As From Time to Time was published in 1995 the year of his death I do hope it met with critical acclaim as it must have been the last book he published.
-----------------------------------------------------

ADDED – SUN 11 MARCH 2012:
My review thoughts on this book, From Time to Time were meant to be added to this books notes on the 12 DEC 2011 instead it seems I mistakenly added them to the companion book to this, Time and Again. I have removed those notes and in expanded form now offer them here below.

Those hurried notes ought to have referred to the fact that I had finally arranged (in DEC 2011) to hand this book over to Nell-Lu, along with its prelude, Time and Again. Hurried notes and rushed arrangement’s; as I had wanted to tackle lots of unfinished business - like handing these book along – before I left home on the 15th DEC for a long Christmas break. Sadly my over ambitious plans were strained further because I had ended up in bed for a week with, it sounded like, the same never-ending cold that also laid Nell-Lu low.

THOUGHTS ON: FROM TIME TO TIME:
I admittedly did want to love this having enjoyed the first so much and it was wonderful though maybe it did not have anywhere near the same spark as the first. I found this intriguing non-the-less! The fascinating, almost dream like quality to the time travel sequences Finney had invested in the first novel, Time and Again, lived on again here. Travelling around New York in the 1912’s was enthralling as the descriptions were so vivid, and the use Finney put the Statue of Liberty to was very crafty. It amused me that the parts he used were not where one expected them. The intrigue was gripping but the complexities of the plot I thought, too many and they started unravelling and taking my comprehension with them; the stalling of the time-travel project and the troubling moral dilemma and politics surrounding that and; the situation Si found himself in closer to home were all huge topics in their own right. It was inevitable that I contrast the two books and found this wanting in relation to the first. From Time to Time was over ambitious its plotting lost cohesiveness and seemed somewhat hollow but yet it had its own special moments of magic.

Journal Entry 5 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 16, 2011
rainbow3 hand delivered this book and Time and Again last night -- along with a lemon to make into a honey and lemon toddy for my sore throat! Many thanks, rainbow 3.

I'm looking forward to reading these, although my TBR pile is huge at the moment so I won't be able to get onto them straight away. Thanks, Hayes13, for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2012
Hmm, I thought this sequel was a bit of a shame. It was well-researched, but didn't have the storytelling drive or character interest of Time and Again.

Still, it was interesting to read the follow-up -- thanks again for sharing, Hayes13. I'll get it in the post to Rome next week.

Journal Entry 7 by Hayes13 at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, March 19, 2012
Back home with me after its sojourn in Scotland.