The Island of the Colour-blind and Cycad Island

by Oliver Sacks | Science |
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 1/12/2009
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, January 12, 2009
I think if I were to play that "if you could invite anyone to a dinner party" game, Oliver Sacks would be on my short-list, if not sitting at the table. He seems to have such an enthusiasm for the subjects he's interested in, and his interests seem to be so very broad. Just the kind of person it would be fascinating to spend an evening chatting to.

This book is about his main love, neurology, and the strange neurological diseases of two islands in the Pacific: one where an abnormally large percentage of the population is colour-blind; the other where an unexplained parkinsons-like disease has struck down almost an entire generation. But it's also about life on the islands, the amazing botany of isolated places, and a fair chunk of autobiography. And just musings on life in general. All of which adds up to a very interesting book.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 2 by Chch2009-Con from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, March 29, 2009
Reserved for the 2009 Bookcrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/29/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Added to the book collection for the convention.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Looks interesting.

Coincidentaly, we had a colour blindness with Newk around the time I picked this up.