Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words that Remade America (Simon & Schuster Lincoln Library)

by Garry Wills | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 7/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 04, 2009
I brought several copies of this home from the Book Thing last weekend (they had a whole caseful). This is a Pulitzer Prize winner, and winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award. Looks like a book I might enjoy. I'll keep one copy to read, and the others will probably be wild-released at Gettysburg.

From the cover -
The power of words has rarely been given a more compelling demonstration than in the Gettysburg Address. Lincoln was asked to memorialize the gruesome battle. Instead he gave the whole nation "a new birth of freedom" in the space of a mere 272 words. His entire life and previous training and his deep political experience went into this, his revolutionary masterpiece.
By examining both the address and Lincoln in their historical moment and cultural frame, Wills breathes new life into words we thought we knew, and reveals much about a president so mythological but often misunderstood. Wills shows how Lincoln came to change the world and to effect an intellectual revolution, how his words had to and did complete the work of the guns, and how Lincoln wove a spell that has not yet been broken.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Lincoln Square, on a bench in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 31, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/31/2011 UTC) at Lincoln Square, on a bench in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA

Left on a bench outside the Wills House, but it was gone within 5 min. Poof!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by MarFam at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2011
My kids found two books while we were wandering Lincoln Square. This is a wonderful concept! Have just returned home and cannot wait to start reading! And sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by MarFam at Little Round Top in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/8/2012 UTC) at Little Round Top in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA

Discovered this very well written book that was left by another Book Crossing member back in July. I apologize for the delay in releasing into the wild yet again - I wanted it to be released in an area where it would be enjoyed and for this reason - back to Gettysburg it had to go......
Will be releasing it this evening while driving through the park - Leaving it on Little Round Top in an area near and dear to my heart....... hint: I have a soft spot in my heart for Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine!

Journal Entry 5 by MarFam at Little Round Top in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/9/2012 UTC) at Little Round Top in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania USA

I left this book beside the monument for the 20th Maine, on Little Round Top around 7 PM on Sunday evening. There were very few people in the park, and it was getting dark.
I checked back around 9 AM the next morning and the book was gone!

Sadly, no one has posted that they discovered the book :(