The Lost World

by Michael Crichton | Pets & Animals |
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 1/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, January 11, 2009
The novel behind Steven Spielberg's less-than-classic 1990s dinosaur sequel.

We're starting a bookray for this and Jurassic Park. It's the wrong Lost World (the right one is, of course, Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World), but still contains dinosaur adventure fun! PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join.

Bookray
Nell-Lu, UK (Int)
criminologeek Hong Kong (Int)
Bookworm-lady, Spain (Europe)
Vekiki, UK (Int)
...
...

Please could you all do four things:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. Use the cheapest method of shipping available.

And, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 23, 2009
Interesting sequel. Only two characters from Jurassic Park feature - and one has to start the book by explaining that rumours of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

The situation here feels much less perilous than previously, despite Crichton's considerable ability to put his characters in danger. But Jurassic Park felt, from very early on, like a situation wildly out of control. The Lost World simply doesn't pack that punch.

It has all the familiar elements. As none of the characters is old enough to have grandchildren, an over-complicated contrivance introduces two stowaways. (Richard Levine, genius and heir to the Becky dolls fortune, is booked for speeding in his Ferrari. He’s given community service teaching in a local school, where he employs two pre-teens to run sensitive errands unnoticed by the private investigator trailing watching Levine.) This means that Crichton can add tension simply by putting one of the children in danger.

This time round, there’s one team of good guys and one team of baddies. The baddies are particularly rubbish – amusingly, one death results from their belief in a paper written by a paleontologist called Roxton. After a botched murder attempt followed by a botched egg snatch they are each reduced to collapsing presumed dead until some distraction is needed. The baddies then wake up, attempt to escape, and end up more conclusively dead (although, who knows, in this world?).

The goodies have the disadvantage of having two characters who lecture rather than talk. Levine is supposed to be unsympathetic but brilliant, but doesn’t seem as clever as we’re supposed to think. The Lazarus character (I’m being oblique here in case anyone reads this before reading Jurassic Park. I don’t want to give away who dies. Even if he is then resurrected.) has a strong tendency to pontificate. Thank goodness for the down-to-earth engineer and that guy in the metaphorical red shirt. Whatever his name was.

But, bad as I’m making all this sound, it’s actually quite a pageturner. There are some really cool dinosaurs. Raptors may be fast and clever, but giant chameleon dinosaurs rock! The pacing is storming and – hurrah! – there are two strong, intelligent female characters who manage to do stuff without feeling the need to tell us what’s wrong with the world.

Journal Entry 3 by Nell-Lu at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/9/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to criminologeek in Hong Kong. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by criminologeek on Friday, March 13, 2009
Received with many thanks! =)

Loomed with many assignments as the school term is coming to an end, may I ask for more time to read the two books? Many thanks.

**I know I am taking too long a time to read these two books, but I have been very busy lately. I will finish reading them and mail them to the next reader very soon. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by criminologeek on Sunday, September 20, 2009
Sorry that I have forgotten to update the journal. The book was already sent to Bookworm-lady. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Thanks for sending this on, together with its "mate", Criminologeek; they arrived in perfect shape.
Thanks for the postcard, as well...
And thanks, TheLostBook, for sharing these books with us. Looking forward to reading them!
Eva

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, February 18, 2012
I have asked Vekiki for her address, but she has already found another copy; no wonder, after such a long wait!
That makes me the last in this bookray.
Eva