Mister Pip

by Lloyd Jones | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780719521836 Global Overview for this book
Registered by marsala of - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on 1/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, January 09, 2009
Hi and Welcome to Bookcrossing!

If you found this book and are not familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for checking the site out. Welcome! Enjoy both the book and the site.

People all over the world are tracking their books through BookCrossing.

I really hope you'll journal this book! You can stay anonymous if you like. You can journal the book right now! You don’t have to read it first. Ideally, you will post a journal now saying that you’ve found this particular book, then read (and hopefully enjoy) the book. When you’re done reading, come back here and let us know when and where you will pass the book on to another reader. Give a review if you’d like. If you journal it, you can come back anytime to track its journey.

If you decide to join – and it’s FREE - please consider using me, Marsala, as the member who referred you. If you are already familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book.

Either way, I hope you'll make a journal entry so all previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Happy reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by marsala at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 03, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/3/2009 UTC) at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases

On its way to dutch-book, who had this book on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, October 05, 2009
Marsala, dankjewel zeg! Wat lief en heel onverwacht. Lijkt mij een super mooi boek.

Journal Entry 4 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I've just read the book. Although the subject was quite serious, I didn't take it as serious as I should. Probably because of the way it was written. I didn't like it as much as I hoped and thought.

Journal Entry 5 by dutch-book at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/23/2011 UTC) at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Took it with me to the OBCZ.

Journal Entry 6 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, May 16, 2011
I remember this being talked about a lot on the forum a couple of years ago, so I'd been hoping to come across it sooner or later. I couldn't resist taking it home with me. Funny that dutch-book released this three months ago, and it stayed there until the meeting yesterday, in honour of DiscoveryLover's visit, when she was there too.

Journal Entry 7 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 14, 2013
If any book was destined to persuade me to read 'Great Expectations' by Mr. Dickens, this was it; the story is referred to throughout the book, and the narrator, Matilda, comes to identify strongly with Pip, the hero of the book which inspires her.

'Mister Pip' is built around the stories people build around themselves, truth and lies, secrets and revelations, and the way people piece together their own version of reality. As a child and teenager, Matilda is not able to interpret the behaviour of the adults surrounding her. She observes closely, but often draws the wrong conclusions and is scared to ask for explanations for strange behaviour. As she matures, in a village cut off from the outside world and threatened both by the "redskins" in helicopters and later on the ground, and the rebels in the jungle, she realises that absolute truth can be a dangerous thing, and that sometimes the only way to protect yourself is to tell stories and live a lie. The eager-to-please simpleton who is unable to grasp this puts everyone in danger, and Matilda's mother's refusal to pretend she believes something she doesn't is what leads to her downfall. The teacher Mr. Watts, Scheherazade-like, prolongs his life by combining the stories the villagers have told him, his own story and that of Pip into something to charm the rebels. The redskin leader is only playing a role, but can't escape it and regain his humanity except at the simplest level, protecting Matilda from seeing what is happening during the atrocities.

The first half of the book is simple and slow, with a growing sense of tension, increasing with each minor argument and incident. At one point everything seemed to come to a standstill, and the only tension was between Mr. Watts and Matilda's mother. Nevertheless, the presence of the warring factions fueled the knowledge that something terrible would inevitably happen. After it had, I hadn't expected the book to get better, but the final chapters were in some ways the most intense and deep of the book, in spite of the apparent lack of activity. As and adult Matilda is able to make sense of all that happened, to accept the lies, to understand the adults' motivations for deception. Finally meeting the "real" Mr. Dickens allowed her to explore the real Mr. Watts and his many faces.

"I suppose it is possible to be all of these things. To sort of fall out of who you are into another, as well as to journey back to some essential sense of self. We only see what we see. [...] I only know the man who took us kids by the hand and taught us how to re-imagine the world, and to see the possibility of change, to welcome it into our lives. Your ship could come in at any time, and that ship could take many forms."

The only criticism I would have of the 'Mister Pip' is that, notwithstanding the civil war background, there was not much sense of place. Near the end of the book, Matilda mentions experiencing goosepimples for the first time on the air-conditioned plane, and I was aware of the scenery of jungle and blue tropical seas, but I'm not sure this came from the descriptions in the book itself, but rather with the fact that I knew where it was set. The feeling of brooding heat came more from the fact that the village people were cut off by living on an island which was been blockaded and constantly in fear. I had hoped for a little more local colour, but perhaps this is unrealistic as it was written by a New Zealander. The pale blue flowery cover is also somewhat misleading, giving little clue to some of the more violent passages. Even these, however, take place out of our sight, barely described (thank goodness). It reminded me very much of 'Lord of the Flies', with the increasing violence and island setting, and I can imagine it would make a good book for the school syllabus.

I really did enjoy this book immensely, and I will be looking out for more books by this author. Recommended.

Journal Entry 8 by bookguide at Strandpaviljoen Zoomers in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (6/30/2013 UTC) at Strandpaviljoen Zoomers in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of 2012. My reading goal is 65 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2013. My goal is 26,000.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge. 2013 goal: 24.

Journal Entry 9 by eowyn-unquendor at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 30, 2013
I look forward to read this book! I have no idea what to expect, except that as a '1001 book' it must be a good read :)

Journal Entry 10 by eowyn-unquendor at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 06, 2013
I had no idea what to expect from this book, so I just started reading en let myself be surprised by it. Sometimes it reminded me of "Life of Pi", because it was such an incredible tale, but where I felt betrayed by "Life of Pi"'s ending, the end of "Mister Pip" was much more satisfying.
The background of the story was pretty gruesome. But I didn't give up because I just couldn't stop reading. Like Bookguide, I'm now interested in reading "Great Expectations", and I hope to find an abridged version to start with, like Mathilda.
Funny, because this is the second book about Charles Dickens I've read in one month, just having finished "Dodger" by Terry Pratchett, which features a Dickens character and is set in his era.

Released 5 yrs ago (3/16/2014 UTC) at OBCZ 't Hof: Lunch & High Tea in Oss, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Gefeliciteerd, je hebt dit boek gevangen! Ik hoop dat je ervan zult genieten.
Wil je, als je het uit hebt, hier vertellen wat je ervan vond? Daarna zou het leuk zijn als je het verder laat reizen. Je kan het aan een kennis geven om te lezen of zomaar in het wild ergens achterlaten zodat iemand anders het kan vinden, bijvoorbeeld in een restaurant, school, buiten, of ergens anders waarvan jij denkt dat er mensen komen die dit boek zouden willen lezen.
Het zou nog leuker zijn als je lid wordt van BookCrossing. Dat is gratis en veilig, je emailadres wordt niet doorgegeven. Je kunt dan zelf zien waar het boek na jou naar toe gaat. Je kan ook andere boeken registeren en loslaten, kijk maar eens op http://www.bookcrossing.nl of klink links in de index van deze site. Als je lid wordt, zou ik het leuk vinden als je mij, eowyn-unquendor, als verwijzer ("referrer") opgeeft.

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing at Oss, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, March 16, 2014
Got it at the meet-up in Oss today!

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking it to the Unconvention.

Journal Entry 14 by daffodil-2 at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2017
Picked up from the book buffet.

Journal Entry 15 by daffodil-2 at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 19, 2017
REVIEW:- I gave this book a good try before giving up with it. I found it hard-going at first then I settled into it and enjoyed the children's enjoyment of the Dickens novel. However it got really weird again when various people popped into the school room to talk to the children on an assortment of subjects so at this point I decided enough was enough.

Released 1 yr ago (3/22/2018 UTC) at Victory Swim and Fitness Centre in North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was left in the ladies changing rooms at the gym.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, May 13, 2018
A very different read to my normal books, but I really enjoyed the story and the way it was just a quiet read then built up to violence and back down gently to normality again. The way the writer included a character from a well known and loved Dickens novel was brilliant.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, June 08, 2018
The book has been left in the ladies boudoir in Jarrolds dept store