The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by verenka from Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Friday, July 10, 2009
I took this book to Vienna, Austria with me in order to release it here.

Journal Entry 4 by verenka from Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, September 30, 2009
I really enjoyed the book. I don't read a lot of classics so I was surprised how much I liked it. I enjoyed the writing style and how the story was delivered in installments of letters sent home by the storyteller.

It is of course shocking to read how they refer to their native south american helpers and how they thought nothing of wiping out this formerly unknown tribe of ape men. This is, however, a story that was written 97 years ago, long before expressions like racial discrimination and the protection of species became part of the dictionary. I read the story trying to keep that in mind and ended up liking it a lot - from timid journalist to adventurer, from infamous professor with a bad reputation to celebrated authority on prehistoric biology.

Journal Entry 5 by verenka from Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
I passed the book on during the last meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
I found out why it's a true classic. Caught me on the first page.

CAUGHT IN VIENNA AUSTRIA

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
I found out why it's a true classic. Caught me on the first page.
And handed it to a friend in Senglea, Malta :-)

CAUGHT IN VIENNA AUSTRIA