The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 06, 2009
Received in my Unconvention goody bag - thank you so much for giving us these and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 18, 2009
I'd passed on lots of copies of this via BookCrossing as I picked up a small pile at the Unconvention, so I thought I'd better actually read a copy! This was ideal for a plane and coach journey on holiday. Shorter than I'd expected and the adventure does end a little abruptly, but what a great adventure, with dinosaurs, more exciting creatures and stiff upper lips all round. A smattering of colonialism and old fashioned attitudes, but also a good, old-fashioned gripping read. Particuarly liked the scene near the end with mayhem in Oxford Street!

Journal Entry 5 by LyzzyBee at Hotel Britannia Excelsior in Cadenabbia, Lombardia Italy on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at Hotel Britannia Excelsior in Cadenabbia, Lombardia Italy

On a table in the stairwell.

Welcome to BookCrossing. Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book, you may do this anonymously or you may join. There is no charge to join this site, if you are like myself from time to time you may donate to help support Bookcrossing; but it is not mandatory. If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by LyzzyBee. Membership is free and your name and e-mail address is not shared with anyone else and it will never be sold. BookCrossing is a world-wide group of people who love books and wish to share them with others.

Please enjoy this book, if it is not your genre pass it along to someone else or wild release it. In this way we promote literacy and at the same time we can watch our book continue on its journey.

I look forward to hearing what you thought of the book when you've read it, and to seeing what happens to it next!