The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by peaceangel from Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 07, 2009
Found in my goody bag at the Edinburgh 2009 Bookcrossing Unconvention, just started to read it, will journal later...

Journal Entry 4 by peaceangel from Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
I only read this because it was given out free at the 2009 Bokcrossing Unconvention in Edinburgh as part of a nation-wide effort to get people reading. I had not read it before, and found it extremely sexist and old fashioned. However I did read it to the end to see what would happen and found the ending rather disappointing.

Journal Entry 5 by peaceangel at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/12/2009 UTC) at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Thank you for picking up this book & I hope you enjoy it. You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of book-lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

I hope you will make a journal entry letting me know that this book has found a good home with you. You can do this anonymously if you wish. When you finish the book, please visit here again and share what you thought about the book.

Feel free to read and keep the book, or pass it on to a friend, or even set it free 'in the wild' for someone else to find like you did.

If you register you will be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's completely confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no-one is ever given your email address), totally free, and spam-free.

If you do decide to join BookCrossing, please tell them that peaceangel sent you.

I hope you enjoy the BookCrossing experience!