The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by wingmissmarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 12, 2009
I got this book at the Bookcrossing Unconvention in Edinburgh last weekend and am sending it to Discoverylover from New Zealand who is in USA at the moment.

Journal Entry 4 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, August 17, 2009
Sent to me by my good friend MissMarkey while I was at summer camp this year. Thanks so much and sorry it took me so long to journal :s

Journal Entry 5 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 05, 2009
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would! I really enjoyed the format of the book - the chapters were a good length, and I liked the method of using sentences from the chapter as the title of each chapter - gave me something to search for while reading.

Generally I find it harder to get into more classical books, I have to concentrate on the language to understand, but this wasn't like that at all!

The storyline was fast paced enough to keep me reading, while giving a good amount of detail, making it interesting! I'd thoroughly recommend this!

Released 11 yrs ago (10/5/2009 UTC) at Little Free Library - Not So Hostel on Spring in Charleston, South Carolina USA

Leaving on the book exchange shelf at the hostel.

Dear Reader. Thank you for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry here to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Discoverylover. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it "in the wild" again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

The Kansas Unconvention is less than a month away! Come join us in Kansas on October 23-25 as we read, release and have tons of fun! See the forum thread or the convention website. Hope to see you there!