The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by tree-hugger from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 05, 2009
I received this book in my goodybag at the bookcrossing convention this weekend. Thanks very much! I'll read it in time, but I can't promise that it will be soon, as I've come away from the convention with arm-loads of books! I've already been enjoying the Lost Book animated series - very, very cool. It was great to meet the makers this weekend, and find out lots of inside secrets.

Journal Entry 4 by tree-hugger from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 09, 2009
This is very much a book of it's time. It's interesting to see how attitudes have changed. By which I mean... what on earth were the Victorians on??? Empire-building megalomaniacs! I thought this book would focus on the dinosaurs themselves, and the perilous adventure, but in fact it is more the story of how some Victorian adventurers became the saviours of the savages. Groan! I'm glad I read it though, because I enjoyed being wound up by it!

I must say, I find it a bit odd that this book was chosen for the reading campaign. I've read a lot of classic novels which have stood the test of time far better than this one. It comes across as sexist and racist and the language is kind of stuffy - I don't think there are many non-readers out there who are going to get into reading as a result of this book. I hope I'm wrong about that though!

I have passed this book onto my colleague, so we may or may not hear from it again.