The Gargoyle

by Andrew Davidson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 4/3/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 03, 2009
Aileen and Watson, The Lost Book Welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler. Episode 2, the first of five episodes to be written by the public, was launched on Friday 06 March 2009. It sees intrepid Scotswoman Aileen and her dog Watson travelling to Iowa City in search of a stolen book and a secret society of bibliophiles. Right now we're putting the finishing touches on episode 3, which will be launched on Thursday, 09 April 2009 - watch the story so far.

Where the story goes next remains in your hands. You can suggest plot developments by visiting www.thelostbook.net now. Each month between now and July the storylines will be pulled together into the next episode, animated and published online.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. Please help us to write the story for the web series - make suggestions or vote on other people's ideas. You can also join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde and reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can even produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey.

The Lost Book is a partner project to the Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust’s 2009 reading campaign, The Lost World Read 2009, which is using free books, online resources and events to get people reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Lost World Read is the largest collaborative reading project ever seen in the UK. We're extending the reading campaign, thanks to the generosity of project sponsors Canongate, by giving away other free books throughout The Lost Book.

The Gargoyle is Andrew Davidson's first novel. It's beautifully presented, with striking black page edges. It has its own online community at www.the-gargoyle.co.uk - it's worth going over there for more information, reviews, and discussion (click the book on the homepage to get into the forum).

The story is both a neat little morality tale and something more interesting. The narrator has been given a second chance: the cleansing flames have forced him to re-evaluate his life, and Marianne gives him the opportunity to care for someone unselfishly (not least because his sex has literally been taken out of the equation). His path towards a new life is difficult and his tantrums ring true. Marianne's parables force both the protagonist and the reader to think about the world in non-twenty-first century terms. She speaks about relationships and vocations, in contrast to consumption and ambition. She also brings a sense of mystery and danger to the story, so nothing is neat or saccharine.

So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

Journal Entry 2 by wingcanongatebookswing on Friday, April 03, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
This book is going to travel around the world as a bookray. PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join. The book is quite a thick paperback (500pp, ~350g).

Bookray
DryKid, UK (UK preferred, Int if needed)
kizmiaz, Portugal (Canada surface mail)
rockyhorror1978, Canada (Int)
ajsmom, Canada (Int) - asked to be skipped
Mozette, Australia (international)
Jean-Sol, Australia (Asia/US preferred, Int if needed)
peggypostcard, Australia (Oceania) - asked to be skipped
bookworm76, Australia (Int)
NMReader, USA (USA) - asked to be skipped.
acountkel, USA(USA)

Bookray complete!

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This book will be taken to the Post Office this afternoon to start its journey. Happy reading, everyone!

Journal Entry 5 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Received this a few days ago, sorry for not doing a journal sooner, thanks for organising this I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Journal Entry 6 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 07, 2009
I really did enjoy this book, it is a story of hope and love, life and death and it has an unusual storyline that drifted between the present day and the fourteenth century. I also enjoyed the short love stories told by Marianne Engel to the main character (who is never named) while he is recovering from severe burns in hospital. The storyline kept my interest all the way through, though I was expecting a big twist or revelation at the end which didn't quite materalise. Overall, not the best book I have ever read but certainly an entertaining, interesting and worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 7 by DryKid at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/12/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

on its way, sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 8 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, August 17, 2009
Just got it, thanks Drykid and The LostBook.
I'm a bit swamped right now but I'll try not to keep it too long.

Journal Entry 9 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, August 28, 2009
I must start by saying that the author was very ambitious with his first novel, as an author should, and it shows that he did his research about the multitude of subjects that pop up in the telling of tale (from burnt unit care to medieval mysticism), all this is good but it turns out to be just a romance.
A well written and crafted romance, but a romance just the same.
The book is well structured and the tales that Engel tells are quite imaginative, even if they all seem to convey the idea that Love kills, and in a nasty way.
I got a bit bored with the story and even though it’s well written that wasn’t enough to fulfil my expectations, in the end I found it long, dull and too obvious.
I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re into romances.

Journal Entry 10 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 14, 2009
Arrived today in the mail. I'm looking forward to reading this book! Thank you for including me!

Journal Entry 11 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 02, 2009
What an excellent book. I do not usually read books in which the plot centres around a love story, but this book is definitely an outlier. In addition to having a captivating plot, this book also examines the different types of love that can exist between two people: passion, lust, brotherly love, a sense of community and romance. It also examines the different lengths that people will go to for love. While the ending was slightly flat, it left it up to the reader to decide what Marianne Engel was, similar to 'Life of Pi.' While I agree that the descriptions of the burns and the treatment thereof were grotesque at times, it was almost necessary to see the physical, in addition to the emotional change, in the main character. The backdrop of German mysticism was a perfect backdrop for the story. Even if you do not enjoy romances and love stories, this book may be a book that you enjoy.

3 October 2009: ajsmom has requested to be skipped so I have contacted Mozette for her address.

Journal Entry 12 by rockyhorror1978 at Logan Central, Queensland Australia on Saturday, October 03, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (10/5/2009 UTC) at Logan Central, Queensland Australia

Being sent to Mozette, the next reader in this bookring! Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 13 by Mozette from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 09, 2009
Aaaah... I'm happy to report that I received this wonderful book for my birthday this year, check it out on my blog:

So, I'll be passing this one onto the next person tomorrow morning; as it's the soonest I can post it off. Oh! And I'm reading it at the moment too. :D

Journal Entry 14 by Mozette at Slacks Creek, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (12/10/2009 UTC) at Slacks Creek, Queensland Australia

This one's going to posted to the next person on the list!

Journal Entry 15 by wingJean-Solwing from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Arrived today, 3 days before Christmas, how good is that?! Even better if one considers that the Australian posties are on strike at the moment.
It's the beginning of the Summer holidays here in Australia so I may have to put this book on hold for a couple of weeks. The next BCer after me seems to have study commitments though, so I'll try to get it to her/him before Uni gets into full swing again, even if that means shuffling reading commitments a little bit.

Updated on 3 Jan - Just back from holidays today and found an email from Peggyppostcard asking to be skipped. I've fallen a bit behind my reading during the hols but should get back on the saddle now that I'm back at work. Will contact the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 16 by wingJean-Solwing at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/31/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Although I finished the book, I have to say that I could not really get into it. It started so well but then I felt that it became too ambitious and self-conscious. The whole journey of the burn patient was what kept me going. The author has obviously done a lot of research and has an interesting approach so I'll keep an eye out for his next book.
The Gargoyle is back on the road! This time on its way to Western Australia across the hot Aussie Summer.

Journal Entry 17 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 11, 2010
Recieved in the mail today - thanks.

I will get onto it as soon as I can

Journal Entry 18 by bookworm76 at Stafford, Queensland Australia on Thursday, May 06, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (5/6/2010 UTC) at Stafford, Queensland Australia

Sending off to the next person on the list

Journal Entry 19 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Friday, May 21, 2010
Received in the mail yesterday
Thank you for including me in this ray.
Looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 20 by acountkel at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Sunday, May 30, 2010
Wow! The writing in this book is truly amazing. The story is about this man who is in a car accident and is burned very severely. While he recuperates, this mentally disturbed woman starts visiting him. She begins telling him stories of her life. Her life in the 13th century. And he was supposedly there too. These stories are just as fun as the main plot. The author’s imagination is extravagant. I was in awe as I turned every page. The darkness and the depth of the book made for a slow read. And to be honest, in places, it became too deep for me. However, I do appreciate the talent of this writer and the story is so unique, I think people will be talking about this book for a very long time.

Journal Entry 21 by acountkel at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Sunday, February 06, 2011
Sending on to Texas as a mooch!
Enjoy!