The Gargoyle

by Andrew Davidson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 4/3/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingcanongatebookswing on Friday, April 03, 2009

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 03, 2009
Aileen and Watson, The Lost Book Welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler. Episode 2, the first of five episodes to be written by the public, was launched on Friday 06 March 2009. It sees intrepid Scotswoman Aileen and her dog Watson travelling to Iowa City in search of a stolen book and a secret society of bibliophiles. Right now we're putting the finishing touches on episode 3, which will be launched on Thursday, 09 April 2009 - watch the story so far.

Where the story goes next remains in your hands. You can suggest plot developments by visiting www.thelostbook.net now. Each month between now and July the storylines will be pulled together into the next episode, animated and published online.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. Please help us to write the story for the web series - make suggestions or vote on other people's ideas. You can also join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde and reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can even produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey.

The Lost Book is a partner project to the Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust’s 2009 reading campaign, The Lost World Read 2009, which is using free books, online resources and events to get people reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Lost World Read is the largest collaborative reading project ever seen in the UK. We're extending the reading campaign, thanks to the generosity of project sponsors Canongate, by giving away other free books throughout The Lost Book.

The Gargoyle is Andrew Davidson's first novel. It's beautifully presented, with striking black page edges. It has its own online community at www.the-gargoyle.co.uk - it's worth going over there for more information, reviews, and discussion (click the book on the homepage to get into the forum).

The story is both a neat little morality tale and something more interesting. The narrator has been given a second chance: the cleansing flames have forced him to re-evaluate his life, and Marianne gives him the opportunity to care for someone unselfishly (not least because his sex has literally been taken out of the equation). His path towards a new life is difficult and his tantrums ring true. Marianne's parables force both the protagonist and the reader to think about the world in non-twenty-first century terms. She speaks about relationships and vocations, in contrast to consumption and ambition. She also brings a sense of mystery and danger to the story, so nothing is neat or saccharine.

So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by BinglyBingBong from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
A nice surprise, picked this up in Coffee Republic in St Andrew Sq. Will read soon - intriguing title.

Released 11 yrs ago (5/6/2009 UTC) at Coffee Republic, St Andrew Sq Gdns in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Hi BinglyBingBong - you beat me to it! Thanks for journalling. I hope you enjoy The Gargoyle and then pass it on to continue its journey. It'll be great to find out where it has travelled to and read your review.