Life of Pi

by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 6/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingcanongatebookswing on Monday, June 08, 2009

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2009
Aileen and Watson, The Lost Book Welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It's taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler, who is trying to solve the crime of a missing book. Episode 4, the third of five episodes to be written by the public, was launched last month. It saw Scotswoman Aileen going undercover in New Zealand to listen in on the plans of evil genius Beryl Potts - watch the story so far. Right now we're animating episode 5 (which will be launched on Friday 19 June 2009) and working on the plot for episode 6 with help from all the visitors to the website.

Where the story goes next remains in your hands. You can suggest plot developments by visiting www.thelostbook.net now. Each month between now and July the storylines will be pulled together into the next episode, animated and published online.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey.

The Lost Book is a partner project to the Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust's 2009 reading campaign, The Lost World Read 2009, which is using free books, online resources and events to get people reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Lost World Read is the largest collaborative reading project ever seen in the UK. We're extending the reading campaign, thanks to the generosity of project sponsors Canongate, by giving away other free books throughout The Lost Book.

Life of Pi is that rare thing - a bestselling modern classic. It's a story about a boy, a boat, and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger. This is a brand new special edition (publication date 02 Jul 2009) for the worldwide Life Of Pi readalong that will be taking place in August 2009. To join in, sign up at www.lifeofpi.co.uk - and you'll receive regular tips and added extras to help you make the most of Life of Pi.

So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

Update: The Lost Book ran until July 2009 and is now finished - apart from lots of books like this one that are still travelling and finding new readers!

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Laui in the Netherlands for a mini-August-readalong-ray. Laui will read it, share it with friends and family in August, and then pass it on to bookguide.

Happy reading, all.

Journal Entry 4 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, July 10, 2009
It's here! I'll reserve it as my first august read, but it will be tough... it looks like a real good read!

August 6th: started reading

Journal Entry 5 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, August 15, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. The story is so magical and I really loved the way Pi encourages himself to master the Tiger.

I must say that the last few chapters were a bit disappointing when I read them, I was taken down from the lovely fairy tale like cloud, and it was rough! But I do realise that it served a purpose. At first I thought everything was being explained, but then again: what function did the botanically wondrous island have seen in this new light? I love thinking about it and considering the options.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I've pm-ed bookguide for her address, but I don't expect an answer any time soon. My sisters both have their own copy, and even read it already. So I'll just pack it up and mail it out as soon as bookguide's returned.

Journal Entry 6 by Laui at postal mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 29, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/29/2009 UTC) at postal mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Dropped off at the post office, on its way to bookguide!

Thanks for sharing this one, it was a great read!

Journal Entry 7 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Arrived safely today. I'm really looking forward to reading this, as since I've been a member of BookCrossing, I've repeatedly read about how wonderful it is. I'll try not to take too long to get round to it.

Journal Entry 8 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, October 04, 2009
What an amazing tale! I enjoyed the first chapters, describing the animals in the zoo, and Pi's encounters with the various religions. The major part of the book, describing the terrible events in the lifeboat, with its fantastical menagerie, and the privations and gradual breakdown of normal moral barriers was fascinating and intriguing, and made me wonder how much of the details about survival at sea was true, and how much invented by the author. Eventually it all began to drag a little, and at that point, things suddenly progressed rapidly from the sublime to the ridiculous. First of all, the high improbability of encountering someone else, and then the strange and mysterious island, so full of hope, yet so deadly. Until now, everything had been almost unbelievable, yet there was room left for doubt; could someone with experience of zoo animals really train a tiger into submission on the boat, just by enforcing boundaries and providing food and drink? On the island, however, suspension of disbelief was no longer possible, as I couldn't believe that a tiger could be trained to jump through hoops when there was such a plentiful supply of food and water; what hold would Pi have over him? Nevertheless, the last chapters, where the alternative explanation was given, still came as a disappointment after so much enjoyable adventure and description.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and will certainly recommend it to my friends and family. I hope Yann Martel goes on to write many more books of a similar standard. Mostly it was a gripping adventure tale, with full and vivid descriptions (some *too* vivid), with strong elements of fairy tale and legend. There were also some downright funny passages, for example, the survival manual was "a fascinating pamphlet on how to avoid being pickled in brine. Only one important topic was not addressed: the establishing of alpha-omega relationships with major lifeboat pests."

Journal Entry 9 by bookguide at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 05, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/6/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Fifna as her prize in the autumn draw (herfstloterij) on the Dutch forum. I hope she hasn't read it before.

This book has also been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2010. My goal is 24,000.
- 2010 Movie Books Challenge
- BX Top 100 Challenge? - try to read and release as many as possible of the BookCrossers' 100 top reads
- Set It Yourself Challenge
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, February 08, 2010
Thank you very much bookguide, a great choice! I haven't read this book, but it is one I 've been wanting to read, so looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Ravenstein, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/30/2013 UTC) at Ravenstein, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Chosen by marsala in the 'first pages' ring.

ETA: I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I had heard such good things about it, that I was intrigued - and it is certainly an intriguing story! It leaves you wondering about it for a while afterwards - glad I read it.

Journal Entry 12 by marsala at - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, July 01, 2013
Allready read this book, and really enjoyed it before. Just cannot remember at all it begins like this..

Journal Entry 13 by marsala at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/3/2013 UTC) at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands

This book is now travelling to a little garden library in Ede. The owner reported on the radio that some vandals destroyed a lot of the books. So I'm sending this book to show some support, and to say that I'm glad he's continuing with the library even after this incident.

Journal Entry 14 by Minibieb-Ede at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Toegestuurd gekregen voor de minibieb Ede als hart onder de riem na vernieling.