Buddha Da

by Anne Donovan | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 3/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 08, 2009
Aileen and Watson, The Lost Book Welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

The Lost Book is a partner project to the Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust’s 2009 reading campaign, The Lost World Read 2009, which is using free books, online resources and events to get people reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Lost World Read is the largest collaborative reading project ever seen in the UK. We're extending the reading campaign, thanks to the generosity of project sponsors Canongate, by giving away other free books throughout The Lost Book.

Buddha Da is a charming study of family relationships, and how people close to us react when we change, all written in Glaswegian Scots with the three narrators' individual voices shining through. It was shortlisted for both the Orange Prize and the Whitbread First Novel Award. This is a gorgeous new repackaged edition.

So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

Update: The Lost Book ran until July 2009 and is now finished - apart from lots of books like this one that are still travelling and finding new readers!

Journal Entry 2 by wingcanongatebookswing on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (3/12/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This book is travelling to the 2009 BookCrossing convention in Christchurch, New Zealand.

If you've found this book - welcome to BookCrossing! I hope you enjoy Buddha Da and then pass it on to continue its journey. It'd be great to find out where it has travelled to and read your review. You can stay completely anonymous if you prefer, or you can join BookCrossing (it's free) if you'd like to take part in this booklovers' community.

To find out more about the adventure of The Lost Book, go to the website at www.thelostbook.net and to read more about The Lost World and the reading campaign check out www.lostworldread.com.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Having enjoyed Being Emily so much, I couldn't resist nabbing this one out of the convention book pile too.

I'm not sure that I enjoyed this one quite as much - or maybe it's just that I enjoyed it in a different way. It took me a bit longer to get into it, and it didn't feel as polished as Being Emily (which would make sense, I suppose, as this was Donovan's first novel). But that's not to say I didn't enjoy it - I definitely did. A moving (and often funny) exploration of a clash of cultures that threatens to tear apart a family. And again told in that wonderful Glaswegian language.

Definitely an author I'll be keeping an eye out for in the future. I want to read more!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 5 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/14/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Adding to the book collection for the convention.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 6 by Chch2009-Con from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Reserved for the 2009 Bookcrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 7 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Picked this up from the table at the convention. Will read and release.

Released 2 yrs ago (12/3/2018 UTC) at somewhere out there in -- Unspecified Location --, Queensland Australia

I released this a while ago. Not sure where it went.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Mitchelton, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 13, 2020
picked this up at the book swap area