The Long Afternoon

by Giles Waterfield | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 04, 2009
From the back:

"The year is 1912. Henry and Helen Williamson arrive in Menton, looking for a house. They fall in love with the dreamlike Lou Paradou and set about constructing a life of ease, and a ravishing garden. But the political conflict gathering across Europe will touch even this elegant world - with tragic consequences."

I read this several years ago and remember liking it a lot for its atmosphere.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/5/2009 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Released for The Ultimate Challenge 2009.

**************

RABCK to a BCer in London. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 10, 2009
I'm so thrilled to receive this. What a lovely surprise. I read Waterfield's The Hound in the Left Hand Corner two or three years back and loved it and have been wanting to read this ever since. Thanks so much Annimanni for sending this - it was very kind of you. And thank you for the lovely postcard too.

Journal Entry 4 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 22, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. So very different from the last book by Giles Waterfield I read, but engaging in a very different way. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, in part because I had assumed that the title character, Henry Williamson, was based on the author of that name: it is not.

What starts of as a gentle trade-romance, as a young and in love couple search for a home in Southern France for the benefit of the husband's fragile health, becomes a deeply moving study of the human character and ultimately looks at at the fear and destruction caused by the outbreak of war in Europe. I particularly enjoyed the small study of the relationship between Helen's two sons, fascinating to me perhaps because I have no brothers.

Many thanks to Annimanni for letting me enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 5 by Rivercassini at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/10/2009 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - Rivercassini - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

Rivercassini

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Picked up at the London meet tonight.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, April 25, 2009
Culling Mt Tbr, moving this on.
Did I pick this up, or was it helped into my bag when I wasn't looking?

Journal Entry 8 by wingrahar109wing at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/5/2009 UTC) at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom

Being taken to the meet-up tonight.

Hello!

If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome, and congratulations on finding this book! Enjoy reading the book,and I hope you will let us know what you thought - as few or as many comments as you wish. It is now yours to do with as you wish - keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us. If you would like to know what happens to the book after it has left you, then do join - it's private and it's fun!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.

Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 9 by coolboxuk from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Picked up at the Chertsey meet yesterday.

Journal Entry 10 by coolboxuk from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, June 15, 2009
For my journal/review please look here:

Journal Entry 11 by coolboxuk at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/1/2009 UTC) at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom

on the table in reception