Saturday

by Ian McEwan | Other |
Registered by FreePages of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 1/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, January 02, 2009
On the 1001 must read list but removed from the 2008 edition.

Paperback. 279 pages

Blurb from Amazon.com:
Saturday is a masterful novel set within a single day in February 2003. Henry Perowne is a contented man — a successful neurosurgeon, happily married to a newspaper lawyer, and enjoying good relations with his children. Henry wakes to the comfort of his large home in central London on this, his day off. He is as at ease here as he is in the operating room. Outside the hospital, the world is not so easy or predictable. There is an impending war against Iraq, and a general darkening and gathering pessimism since the New York and Washington attacks two years before.

On this particular Saturday morning, Perowne’s day moves through the ordinary to the extraordinary. After an unusual sighting in the early morning sky, he makes his way to his regular squash game with his anaesthetist, trying to avoid the hundreds of thousands of marchers filling the streets of London, protesting against the war. A minor accident in his car brings him into a confrontation with a small-time thug. To Perowne’s professional eye, something appears to be profoundly wrong with this young man, who in turn believes the surgeon has humiliated him — with savage consequences that will lead Henry Perowne to deploy all his skills to keep his family alive.

My Thoughts:

An amazing book. Not one that can be read too quickly in one sitting. I spent 4 solid nights reading this one, and there is so much conveyed in each sentence I didn't want to skim over any of it. It is such intelligent writing.

Will either add it to the 1001 Australian branch library or Bookring it.

Journal Entry 2 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, January 02, 2009
It's a Bookring. :-)

I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

Order of Participants is not set and subject to change without notice.

Bookring Guidelines

The Usual Rules Apply

1. When you receive the book make a journal entry so that we all know that it has arrived safely.
2. After you have read the book, journal what you thought of it.
3. Contact the next person after you in the list for their address. Remembering to check who is after you, this may change as new people are added to try to keep the postage costs down.
4. Send the book on.
5. If you are going to keep the book for more than a month contact FreePages or make a journal entry, so I know the ring is not stalled. If you are contacted for your address and you have thousands of bookrings in your TBR pile, instead of holding up the ring or skipping the book, the order may be able to be changed so that you don't miss out. PM Freepages. Keep postage in mind though.
6. Any questions or problems PM Freepages, anytime.
7. Enjoy the ring :-) and please consider leaving a tiny footprint to show it was in your hands mine is a :-) on page 176 or on the last page whichever comes first :-)

Participants

briz-cowgirl(Bris, Qld, Aus)(can post international)
katacs (Hungary) (prefer to post within EU)
Ashleigh4985 (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)(prefers to post within EU)(skipped)
Caroley (Birmingham, West Midlands, UK) (international ship)
okarih (London, Greater London UK) (prefer EU ship)
RuthyToothy & Mr RuthToothy (UK)(prefers to post within EU)Requested an update on the book's status on 4 Aug 2009.
ISO posting for RuthyToothy
WigglyWoods (Chorley, Lancashire, UK)(international ship) asked to be skiped.
dastephan6 (Lawrence, Massachusetts, USA) (international ship)
fushmush (Aus)(prefer to post within EU)=>skipped????
D-face (Aus) (Aus post)

Fini

......

...and back to Freepages (Canberra, AUS)=>Book is here

Journal Entry 3 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, January 05, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/5/2009 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The bookring has started !

Placed in the post today to Briz-cowgirl

Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 4 by briz-cowgirl from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, January 08, 2009
Received from FreePages today, thanks! Will be starting this tonight once I finish my library book...

Journal Entry 5 by briz-cowgirl from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, January 16, 2009
I'm sad to say that I didn't really enjoy this book that much. I loved "Atonement", and the synopsis and reviews about "Saturday" sounded so promising. However, while McEwan has such a tight and intellectual writing style, I found that I didn't care about any of the characters. For me, the book just kind of trudged along until about the last 70-odd pages and then the interesting stuff was all over in a big rush. Nevermind, I will persist with some of McEwan's other novels!
I've PMed katacs for their address, hopefully will be sending this book off shortly. Many thanks FreePages for this bookring!

Journal Entry 6 by briz-cowgirl at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/20/2009 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Mailed to katacs in Hungary today to continue the bookring!

Journal Entry 7 by katacs on Friday, January 30, 2009
Arrived today safely.

02.19. Finished this book today. I read it right after Atonement and, unlike Briz-cowgirl, I found that one more interesting and more enjoyable. I took it with me to Switzerland last week, so it traveled a little bit more :).

03.02. Fushmush asked to be skipped, so I PMed RuthyToothy for their address.

03.11. RuthyToothy hasn't responded, Ashleigh4985 doesn't need this book anymore, so now I'm PMing Caroley.

Journal Entry 8 by katacs at Bookring, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Bookring, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases

On the way to Caroley (UK).

Journal Entry 9 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Received today thanks!

I'm almost finished my current book and then will start Saturday straight away.

Thank you katacs for the lovely postcard. My wall is looking very international now :)

Journal Entry 10 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, March 23, 2009
This was a smashing read, I really enjoyed it. It was my first Ian McEwan and I'll definitely be reading more of his now.
I loved the idea of a book that covered only one day. At no point did it seem over detailed, or too wordy, it was just right.

Thanks for sharing the book with us Freepages :)

Journal Entry 11 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/24/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted today 2nd class

Journal Entry 12 by okarih from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 27, 2009
Thanks Caroley, I received the book today! A nice start to the weekend!!

Journal Entry 13 by okarih from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
This book is so well written, I read it slowly, savouring every word. My husband's a surgeon and and I'm very familiar with the areas of London described so the story seemed very familiar. Sometimes you feel as if a book is talking to you - this was one of those books for me. Thank you FreePages for starting this bookring!

I've PMed RuthyToothy for an address.

UPDATE 14 April - PMed RuthyToothy a 2nd time. (I can't find Mr RuthToothy.)
25 April - I now have RuthyToothy's address and will send this book on in the next several days.

Journal Entry 14 by okarih at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/28/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to RuthyToothy today.

Journal Entry 15 by RuthyToothy on Friday, May 01, 2009
The book arrived safely this morning :-) Thanks to Freepages for sharing, and to all the other bookring members for passing it down the line to me, as I'm really looking forward to reading this one :-)

Journal Entry 16 by RuthyToothy on Monday, November 30, 2009
Found this book in Mr RuthyToothy's sock drawer, of all places - it seems he had put it there halfway through reading it, some months ago, and had forgotten all about it, and it languished there buried for all this time! Suffice to say that he has been appropriately reprimanded!

I enjoyed reading this book, it had a few interesting twists and turns to the plot, and I'm going to check our local library for more by the same author.

Have PMed WigglyWoods today for an address so that I can get this book back into circulation ASAP.

Also, sorry for the lengthy delay in responding to FreePages' PM - I had a baby at the end of September, so free time to get on the internet is now a rarity at best!

EDIT - WigglyWoods has asked to be skipped, so I've sent a PM to dastephan6 for their address instead.

Released 10 yrs ago (12/4/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent to dastephan6 in the USA by surface mail this afternoon.

Journal Entry 18 by dastephan6 from Lawrence, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 23, 2010
Recieved. Will read as soon as I can. A couple in front of it

Journal Entry 19 by dastephan6 at Bookrelay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/17/2010 UTC) at Bookrelay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

off to the next person

Journal Entry 20 by D-face from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, May 21, 2010
Received safely back in Canberra, waiting for me when I got back from a week overseas. I am looking forward to reading this thanks FreePages. At this stage it looks as though I am the last in line?

Journal Entry 21 by D-face at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, May 29, 2010
Being a regular reader of New Scientist I was quite looking forward to reading this as Ian McEwan is a writer/reviewer there and his novels are praised in their pages. I found this too dense. We follow the internal thoughts of a man through the day so there is not much dialogue or action. I found the technical text to be redundant and mere dressing, I cannot believe that anyone thinks of their work in purely scientific terms. At the end of the book the surgeon performs surgery after being awake for more than 24 hours, drinking three glasses of champagne and being assaulted, again not very believable.
She read it also and got a lot more out of it than I did.

Journal Entry 22 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, June 10, 2010

Saturday has arrived home - with an intriguing companion book :-)
Also, the bookmark is still there with everyone's sig. Quite Wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for participating in a very successful bookring.

Cheers :-)

Journal Entry 23 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 03, 2012
Caught this from the lovely FreePages on an impromptu pre-Christmas drop-in when we were south of the lake. I've heard good things about this book and it was on the '1001 list' (pre-2008) so it should be good.
Thanks again FP.

Hope you all had a wonderful and peaceful Chrissy Day and Happy New Year!

Journal Entry 24 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (11/15/2012 UTC) at Yass, New South Wales Australia

Sending to one of my favourite BookCrossers, Carole888.
Hope you enjoy reading it, Carole.

Journal Entry 25 by Carole888 at Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Thank you, thank you Elddau1!! :)) What a lovely surprise! And thank you for interesting journals, everyone. I've been wanting to read this one for a while, though I have to confess, I normally approach McEwan's work with dread for I usually feel the impact of his writing long after reading ..... and yet .... after a while ... I still want to read more of his books. (sigh!) So far I've read Enduring Love (*cringe* - and I said I wouldn't read another after that but ....), On Chesil Beach (Oh, I wanted to shake those two characters .... grrrr), Atonement,(Aaaaaah!) Black Dogs,( I survived this) and Amsterdam(Could not put this down). ..... To me, all were very good reads for different reasons. I am looking forward (also dreading) this one!!! Will let you know ..... I've uploaded a picture that I took one Saturday morning (to go with the title of the book!!) this year while I was out walking. The picture is of Yagan Creek.

(Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and the Best for the New Year ahead!!)