A Start in Life

by Anita Brookner | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSherlockfanwing of Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on 1/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, January 02, 2009
Purchased on the strength of the author's reputation.

Since childhood, Ruth Weiss has been escaping from life into books, from the hothouse attentions of her larger-than-life parents into the gentler warmth of lovers and friends. And now Dr. Weiss, at forty, knows that her life has been ruined by literature, and that once again she must make a start in life.

This is Brookner's first novel, a quirky and interesting portrayal of a morbidly fascinating dysfunctional household that walks the line between comedy and pathos. Difficult little novel to describe, but a satisfying little tale with some memorable characters and thoughtful observations about the different ways people choose to take - or not take - responsibility for their lives.

Taking this with me when I will be in Christchurch between 6 - 10 January. Will pass on to one of the local Chch BXers to add to the collection for the Convention.

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, January 10, 2009
Picked up at today's meetup. I might have to read it before it goes in the convention collection :-)

v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 09, 2009
A strange (and strangely depressing) story of a life that never quite gets going. I wavered between feeling sorry for Ruth that so much kept getting in the way of her dreams, and feeling irritated at her for never really trying to take control of the situation.

I'm struggling too to decide whether or not I actually liked the book. It had some lovely bits, but left me decidedly unsatisfied (although maybe that was intentional on the author's part, reflecting Ruth's dissatisfaction as she looks back... so maybe that makes it a brilliant book after all?)

=+=

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/10/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at tonight's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 6 by erinsgreenshore from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, March 27, 2009
Was given this book by a fellow bookcrosser at the monthly bookcrossing meeting. Haven't read it yet - but will do. In the meantime... thought I should register it!!!

Journal Entry 7 by erinsgreenshore at ASB Bank, George St in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Monday, November 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/9/2009 UTC) at ASB Bank, George St in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Absolutely loved this book. Found it a fascinating read. Very different to my normal choice of book... Bookcrossing is making me read books that I would not normally consider reading... so how good is that for broadening my mind! Released this book while at the ASB bank on a visit down to Dunedin.