Nation

by Terry Pratchett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 12/31/2008
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
A Christmas present from MrPloppy.

I know a lot of fans were disappointed when this book came out. Terry Pratchett has said he's probably only got a few books left in him, so there was some feeling that he shouldn't be wasting his time writing non-Discworld books. But surely if he's only got a few books left, then those books should be the ones he wants to write, not just what will keep the fans happy?

Anyway, it's a moot point, because this is a fabulous book. Set in a not-quite 19th century on a not-quite Earth, it manages to explore some really interesting ideas, and provide some serious food for thought, while at the same time being tremendous fun. And as with all Pratchett's children's books, it is just as appealing to adults. I would have loved to have read this as a child - it would have set my imagination totally aflame. And I've loved reading it today.

It will be a very sad day indeed when Pratchett has to lay down his pen (or word processor). Selfish as it is of me, I hope it's still a long way off.

^ ^