The Unconsoled

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 057122539x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on 12/30/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Ryder, a renowned pianist, arrives in a Central European city he cannot identify for a concert he cannot remember agreeing to give. But then as he traverses a landscape by turns eerie and comical - and always strangely malleable, as a dream might be - he comes steadily to realise he is facing the most crucial performance of his life. Ishiguro's extraordinary study of a man whose life has accelerated beyond his control was met on publication by consternation, vilification - and the highest praise.

Bookring - participants (in no particular order)

Danielle23 UK
pingucb UK
Fluffy-Owl UK skipped
Drykid UK <------ BOOK IS HERE
UnwrittenLibra USA

Back to me please!

Released 9 yrs ago (6/10/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Finally managing to get this book off! First to you Danielle23 - hope you enjoy it :-) x

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, June 11, 2009
Arrived safe and sound today, thanks Jo. Will start reading this soon xx

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, July 03, 2009
I have finally finished this book. It's not as though it was so hard to read but I did have a lot of rings/rays land on my doorstep at once.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the book and I loved meeting Boris and Gustav. However as the book progressed the majority of the characters began to annoy be with their little quirks and personalities, especially Ryder himself and the way he could not keep an appointment or take responsibility for himself. But after all of this I have to say I could not put the book down once I'd started and I'm pleased to have read it even though it's not one of Ishiguro's best.

Thanks for sharing Jozebedee xx

Journal Entry 5 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 06, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/6/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to pingucb, the next in the ray.

Journal Entry 6 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Thankyou I received this today - lovely to get a parcel on my birthday :-)
I'll be reading it next after Cloud Atlas.

Journal Entry 7 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
I finished this this morning and I'm torn between being glad it's over and wanting it continue a little longer.

This has to be one of the strangest books I've read for a long time and not at all what I was expecting having only previously read The Remains of the Day by this author. We start with a seemingly ordinary world, but very soon subtle absurdities begin to appear and gradually the reader is taken on a slow but mesmerising journey. At the end of the book I find myself with more questions than answers and although I have several theories, I don't think I can say for certain the true meaning behind the story. If anything the book could do with being a little shorter, but I've found it fascinating and intriguing throughout and the feel of it will stay with me for some time.

Journal Entry 8 by pingucb at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/5/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Fluffy-Owl has asked to be skipped, so I'm posting this off to DryKid this morning.
Hope you enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 9 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Have had this book for a while, sorry I didn't journal earlier, will read asap!