Outliers: The Story of Success

by Malcolm Gladwell | Nonfiction |
Registered by daniellechonody of Dallas, Texas USA on 12/29/2008
Journal Entry 1 by daniellechonody from Dallas, Texas USA on Monday, December 29, 2008
I found this book very interesting! Gladwell really dispells some of the common beliefs about why people are successful by looking at cultural and historical trends that shape the opportunities people are given and results that people achieve. A facinating read.

Journal Entry 2 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, March 2, 2009
I got this a few days ago. I've heard about this book and it sounds really fascinating. I can't wait to read it and make an updated journal entry.

Thanks again for sending this to me!

Journal Entry 3 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, April 20, 2009
What an interesting read! This author puts forward the thesis that there is no such thing as a self-made man (or woman), because there are always factors in the environment (family, cultural values, assets - financial or psychological -, or specific resources) that allow a talented person to make the most of his or her abilities and truly become an "outlier". This is totally up my alley, being a Behavior Analyst.

Examples range from hockey players(the good ones usually are born in the first 3 months of the month - that's their environmental advantage), computer programmers (being born around 1968 and having many hours of programming under their belts before hitting college is their advantage), being part of a culture molded by rice paddy agriculture, etc.

I particularly enjoyed the passage about airplane pilots and how different cultural communication style helped or hindered the success of an airlnine. I will definitely look out for the other books from this author.

Adding to the Little Free Library in Temple Terrace.