A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

by Marina Lewycka, | Humor |
ISBN: 0141020520 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on 12/29/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 29, 2008
'Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamourous blonde Ukrainian divorcee. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.' Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must put aside a lifetime of feuding to save their émigré engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth. But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget...

What an amusing read! This book had me laughing so much. A real joy to read :-)

Bookring participants
Laui- NL (EU)
Sarahmuh - Sweden (Intl)
rockyhorror1978 - Canada (Intl)
Moriquen Belgium

<---------Bookring complete and back home

Released 10 yrs ago (3/31/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A fantastic read - hilariously funny. Hope you enjoy. Sending off to Laui who is first on the bookring list.

Journal Entry 3 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Got it, will start reading properly asap (this weekend hopefully). I'll keep you posted.

Journal Entry 4 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, April 27, 2009
I liked it, it was an interesting read. Though I must admit that to me it was more sad (that poor old man!) than funny, though later on it got more funny. I've enjoyed reading it and I've asked Saramuh for her address so I can send her the book, I will make release notes when I've actually made the drop-off at the post-office.

Thanks for sharing! And I do hope that there will be more people who sign up for this ring. It's absolutely worth the read!

Journal Entry 5 by Laui at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/6/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I finally mailed it out. I'm so sorry for the delay, let's hope the mailman makes up for it ;)

Journal Entry 6 by Sarahmuh on Friday, May 15, 2009
Received yesterday from Laui - thank you very much! Looking forward to reading it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 7 by Sarahmuh on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Loved the characters and the development of the story. Very original and very cleverly done. The depiction of the characters was comic, but many of the stories that come to the surface are from it, so the mix of tragedy, comedy and optimism is nothing short of brilliant.

My husband wants to read it, so I'd like to hold on to it for a bit longer if that's ok.

Journal Entry 8 by Sarahmuh at Lidingo, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Handing it over to MagnusM who promises to read it soon!

Journal Entry 9 by Sarahmuh at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/3/2009 UTC) at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Finally posted to rockyhorror1978, sorry it's taken a while. Enjoy the book, I thought it was a great story.

Journal Entry 10 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 08, 2009
Arrived today. I am going to start reading it tonight.

Journal Entry 11 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2009
I agree with everyone. This is an amusing and enjoyable read. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters. Her descriptions of each one made them come alive and entertain. It was also very interesting to read the socio-political history of eastern Europe (i.e., Ukraine, Poland).

Although this story was comical, it was also very sad. I felt sorry for both the father and Vera. The father is probably not so surprising considering what his second wife went through, but also Vera because she seemed so jilted and petty at times. I understand that her personal history could have led her to this conclusion.

I highly recommend this book. Thanks to Jozebedee for sharing it with me!

Journal Entry 12 by rockyhorror1978 at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Being sent to Moriquen as part a bookring via surface mail. I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I did! :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingMoriquenwing from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, September 28, 2009
I almost feared that this ring had joined the ranks of those unfortunate books that got lost somewhere in the tangles of some post office. But luckily I just snatched it out of my mailbox this morning, before it could escape again. ;) Thanks for sending it to me rockyhorror and thanks for the ring Jozebedee.

Journal Entry 14 by wingMoriquenwing from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, October 19, 2009
Well, this if for sure not the kind of book I normally read. But I must say that I liked it. Some parts are very recognisable, like the care for (grand)parents after their spouse died and the argues families can get in when money is involved. However much Nadia holds on to the 'good' side of people, Vera keeps reminding her of the underbelly of society. Peace Baby and War Baby ... I think they are a perfect example of a very different generation within one family.
Anyway, I did like the book a lot and I raced to see how it would end and what would become of Valentina. Thanks for letting me participate in this ring Jozebedee.

Journal Entry 15 by wingMoriquenwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/21/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way back home! Thanks for the ring Jozebedee.

Journal Entry 16 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 24, 2009
Thanks Moriquen - it has arrived safely back home! My husband is going to read this book next after seeing all the positive JE's :)