Firmin

by Sam Savage | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by concertina8 of Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on 12/21/2008
Journal Entry 1 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Sunday, December 21, 2008
Disappointing.

Reserved for Abu.

Journal Entry 2 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
got it from concertina8 yesterday, thanks

Journal Entry 3 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Monday, June 29, 2009
Savage's sentimental debut concerns the coming-of-age of a well-read rat in 1960s Boston. In the basement of Pembroke Books, a bookstore on Scollay Square, Firmin is the runt of the litter born to Mama Flo, who makes confetti of Moby-Dick and Don Quixote for her offspring's cradle. Soon left to fend for himself, Firmin finds that books are his only friends, and he becomes a hopeless romantic, devouring Great Books—sometimes literally. Aware from his frightful reflection that he is no Fred Astaire (his hero), he watches nebbishy bookstore owner Norman Shine from afar and imagines his love is returned until Norman tries to poison him. Thereafter he becomes the pet of a solitary sci-fi writer, Jerry Magoon, a smart slob and drinker who teaches Firmin about jazz, moviegoing and the writer's life. Alas, their world is threatened by extinction with the renovation of Scollay Square, which forces the closing of the bookstore and Firmin's beloved Rialto Theater. With this alternately whimsical and earnest paean to the joys of literature, Savage embodies writerly self-doubts and yearning in a precocious rat: "I have had a hard time facing up to the blank stupidity of an ordinary, unstoried life."

Journal Entry 4 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Monday, June 29, 2009
I quite liked it! For me it was a quick read in between "heavier" books and for this purpose it was perfect!

I liked the part where Firmin wants to learn sign language, but because of his little paws he can only sign "Goodbye zipper" too cute, haha :)

Journal Entry 5 by allbookedup at Cafe Merkur in Wien Bezirk 08 - Josefstadt, Wien Austria on Monday, July 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/7/2009 UTC) at Cafe Merkur in Wien Bezirk 08 - Josefstadt, Wien Austria

English Meetup

Journal Entry 6 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Nobody wanted it at the Meetup, so I took it back home with me!

Journal Entry 7 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Just decided to turn this into a bookray! :)

Participants:

1. Colombina (Germany, shipping pref: EU, international if needed)
2. -aoirghe- (Germany, shipping pref: EU, international if needed) <- the book is here now
3. phoenixfeather (Germany)
4. ZlatkoGR (Greece, ship anywhere)
5. cally-c (UK, shipping pref: EU)
6. teuffi (UK, ship anywhere)
7. snufkin81 (South Africa, ship internationally)
8. Freaxy (Germany)

Journal Entry 8 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Friday, July 10, 2009
Sent off today to #1, Colombina.

Journal Entry 9 by Colombina from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 17, 2009
Hurray - this morning, Firmin has arrived savely in my letterbox!

I am looking forward to reading it, Firmin looks sooo cute and dignified on the cover...
(I hope that I will have time to read it this weekend so that he will be able continue his trip as soon as possible)

Journal Entry 10 by Colombina from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 20, 2009
Imaginative, touching, wise, sometimes sad, sometimes hilarious, including some beautiful drawings by Fernando Krahn - I love this book!
I wonder why we always presume that other creatures with their entirely different way of apprehending the world and of communicating are stupid just because we cannot understand their language or their way of apprehending the world. And I certainly see things in a different light now when my cat tries to gnaw on my books :-) (I saved this one though)
I will send the book on its way to -aoirghe- and I hope that it will bring enjoyment to its future readers!

Edit: Sent on 1 August to -aoirghe-.

Journal Entry 11 by -aoirghe- from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Firmin arrived safely here on Saturday, thanks a lot! I have already started reading it and so far I like it.

Journal Entry 12 by -aoirghe- from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, September 07, 2009
I couldn't finish it. And I couldn't even say why! The language is fine, the topic is interesting enough, but I didn't get hooked. I've been waiting and waiting for something crucial to happen, but Firmin just prattled on and on, so I got bored.

Nevertheless thanks for letting me be part of this ring, Firmin will travel on ASAP.