Smoky Joe's Cafe

by Bryce Courtenay | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 014029807x Global Overview for this book
Registered by FrancesinSA on 12/20/2008
Journal Entry 1 by FrancesinSA on Saturday, December 20, 2008
Thommo returns from Vietnam to an Australia that regards him as a mercenary guilty of war crimes. He begins to develop all kinds of mental and physical problems, and thinks it must only be him but finds he is not alone.
When Wendy's daughter is dying and needs a bone marrow transplant, she sets out to mould Thommo and his mates from his army platoon into a unit that will fight for justice.

Journal Entry 2 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/28/2009 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

I am posting this today to holle77 in Germany as a rabck.

Journal Entry 3 by holle77 from Meschede, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 10, 2009
On my return from Edinburgh today this book was awaiting me, thank you so much, FrancesinSA!

Journal Entry 4 by holle77 at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, December 11, 2010
Now I have read this book.
It wasn't so easy for me, because I never before read a book written in Australian English and especially the 2nd chapter was a real challenge, but I got through and I can say that the novel is very interesting.
I didn't know before, that Australia was involved in Vietnam war and it is hard to read, that the politicians in either Australia or USA denied the coherence between Agent Orange and diverse diseases.
I have a penfriend in the USA, whose first husband was a Vietnam Veteran and died nearly twentyfive years ago from cancer of the lung because of contact with Agent Orange. That was another aspect for me to read this book with great interest.
And it is quite a good work that the platoon of Thommo did to help little Anna finding a bone-marrow donor.
Thanks again for this book, FrancesinSA!

Journal Entry 5 by holle77 at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, May 23, 2011
I'll send it to Snowboarderin to release it in Australia.

Journal Entry 6 by Snowboarderin at Hückeswagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 27, 2011
Thanks for sending. I will read it on my journey through Australia or the USA and release it there.

Journal Entry 7 by Snowboarderin at Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/30/2012 UTC) at Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Next stop: Dubai.

Journal Entry 8 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Sunday, September 09, 2012
Thanks for sending this, looking forward to it :)