corner corner More Letters from Pemberley

More Letters from Pemberley
by Jane Dawkins | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BerlinBookworm of Washington, District of Columbia USA on 12/20/2008

status (set by zinat1): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BerlinBookworm from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, December 20, 2008

After reading the first volume of the "Letters", I just couldn't stop. So I bought the second volume as a little Christmas gift for myself. I will make a ring out of it, as soon as I'm through (which shouldn't take long).

Again - I loved it! In this book, Dawkins leaves the (almost)carefree world of young Lizzy and makes this story more serious and tragic (yes, I admit, I shed a few tears). Nevertheless, it's very much worth reading for all of you who enjoyed the first volume. Let me know if you're interested, the book will now travel as as ring.

RING PARTICIPANTS:
5. jurmai
6. greeneyemoony
...
zurück zu mir

Journal Entry 2 by BerlinBookworm at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/6/2009 UTC) at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany

The book just head off to the first ring participant ... Have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by tourvel from Alsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, January 16, 2009

Habe im Zeugnisstress vergessen den Eintrag zu machen: Habe heute angefangen zu lesen :-)

21.01.2009
Nachdem ich schon fast in Panik verfallen war, weil ich das Buch nicht mehr gefunden habe, habe ich es gestern zwischen meinen Schulbüchern wiedergefunden und gelesen :-)

Mir hat das Buch auch gefallen, auch wenn es mich hin und wieder irritierte, dass es größere Lücken zwischen den Briefen gab - ich habe die Daten meist nicht gelesen.
Ich habe auch ein paar Tränen verdrückt, finde allerdings, dass beide Ereignisse zuviel an Dramatik sind, auch wenn es ganz gut gemacht ist. Jetzt teste ich mal die Spoiler-Versteck-Anleitung :-):
Ich frage mich, ob es wirklich möglich ist, solange wie Darcy mit einer Kopfverletzung - und ohne Behandlung in dieser Hinsicht - bewusstlos zu sein und dann aufzuwachen, ohne dass größere Ausfallerscheinungen zu bemerken sind.

Journal Entry 4 by tourvel at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, February 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Gesrten in den Briefkasten geworfen. Viel Spaß damit :-)

Journal Entry 5 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 05, 2009

Das Buch kam gestern mit der Post. Danke! :-)

2009-02-16:
A charming book... :-) I enjoyed meeting Lizzie and her friends once again, and learning about their fate after "Pride and Prejudice". And Lizzy commenting the latest books written by a Jane Austen was outright fun. :-D

Some people Lizzy writes to, or mentions in her letters, seem to come from other Austen novels, however, the names given to these people in "More letters..." confused me. For example, there is a woman named Elinor, from Bath, first engaged and later married - after a separation of several years - to a navy captain. That seems to be the heroine of "Persuasion" - but in "Persuasion", she is named Anne Elliot, not Eleanor .

Journal Entry 6 by DA-Cameron at Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/16/2009 UTC) at Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Das Buch ist auf dem Weg zur nächsten Station. Viel Spaß! :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, February 20, 2009

The Letters have arrived, and since I watched "Lost in Austen" last night, I'm just in the right mood to start with them right away :o)

22.2.2009
I found the book quite entertaining, maybe a little less than the 1st one... Somehow, I'm not so happy any more with the snatchy development of the story, due to the letter style, of course, and the fact that we only get to read Lizzy's letters... So, it was nice to read the 2nd book too, for completeness, etc. but I'm glad there isn't another one. (There isn't, is there?)

Journal Entry 8 by wingUrfinwing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Saturday, February 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/28/2009 UTC) at Gießen, Hessen Germany

Book's now traveling on to Rochester74.

Journal Entry 9 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Friday, March 06, 2009

The book arrived savely yesterday. It will be read soon.

Journal Entry 10 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I enjoyed it much more than the first book "Letters from Pemberley"!!!
Things are happening, there is much more action, you get to know more details about the relationship between Darcy and Lizzy (not too much though), these strange charakters of the other novels are less anoying and there are much more emotions in this book.
My advice: scip the first and read this second book.

Journal Entry 11 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Sunday, March 15, 2009

The book was send to jurmai today.

Journal Entry 12 by jurmai from Magdeburg, Sachsen-Anhalt Germany on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Handed to me by my postman today. Thanks for sending, Rochester74!

25.03.2009:
I accepted Rochester´s advice and skipped the first volume. Nevertheless I missed nothing for understanding.
While reading you catch a glimpse of the Darcy household matters and family life and sometimes you even might get the feeling of reading Jane Austens tone, language and spirit. I´m glad, that it is written in letter format because I´m unsure if the author is able to imitate this spirit in a novel.
By the way, the last P.S. of the book is decidedly the best!

Journal Entry 13 by greeneyemoony from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Arrived today! Thanks. I'll wait for the first part to arrive before I start with this one.

Journal Entry 14 by greeneyemoony from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Nice book though unfortunately I didn't get to read the first volume because that ray got lost somewhere. So some characters in the book were completely new to me (e.g. a Mr. Mansfield, nice name by the way) but it was nevertheless very nice and easy to read.

Journal Entry 15 by greeneyemoony at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, October 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Just sent it back to BerlinBookworm.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by BerlinBookworm from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Monday, October 12, 2009

The book has arrived back home safely. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it ...

Journal Entry 17 by zinat1 at Kerpen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 03, 2011

Came home with my english bookbox last week. Sounds interesting so I'm going to read it.. anywhen...