Grotesque

by Natsuo Kirino | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by OIN-713485 on 12/19/2008
Journal Entry 1 by OIN-713485 on Friday, December 19, 2008
"Two prostitutes are murdered in Tokyo.

"Twenty years previously both women were educated at the same elite school for young ladies, and had seemingly promising futures ahead of them.

"But in a world of dark desire and vicious ambition, for both women, prostitution meant power. 'Grotesque' is a masterful and haunting thriller, a chilling exploration of women's secret lives in modern day Japan."

Journal Entry 2 by OIN-713485 on Saturday, December 20, 2008
Not so much a crime novel as it is a study of personalities. Well-written, with the characters so self-absorbed, you can't help but want to smack some sense into them.

Highly enjoyable, but at times a wee bit tedious. Still - one that's worth reading again.

Journal Entry 3 by OIN-713485 at -- Controlled Release, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/1/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, New South Wales Australia

Sending to Goddess-of-Fire who's the first participant in my bookring (taken from my Personal Collection). Enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
This arrived today. I'm currently in the middle of another book, but I will start it as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Friday, March 20, 2009
While this was an enjoyable book, I didn't like it as much as I did Out.
I didn't like any of the characters, especially the narrator, and I wasn't very fond of the ending either. However, I like Natsuo Kirino's writing style. I wish more of her books were available in English.
Also, I thought it was interesting (and rather asinine) that according to Wikipedia, the American version of this book is censored.
Thanks for including me in the ring. :)

--> Shipped 4-1-09.

Journal Entry 6 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
I got it today!! I have one or two ahead of it, but I will get to it as soon as I can! Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Monday, May 04, 2009
Wow. I'm sorry that this took me so long. I was doing so well!! I enjoyed the book! I probably would have enjoyed it more, had it been shorter. I don't have a problem with 400+ books, but the fact is, is that it could have been finished with 100 pages less. You went through the main character, her sister, 2 friends, a man that killed the prostitutes, the journals of the women who were killed, etc.
Reading about the culture was fascinating, and the characters were so irritating that I agree with whomever said they wanted to smack them. I second that. Luckily, you can still have a very enjoyable book with unlikeable characters.
Thank you Moo, for sharing your book with us. I can say with great certainty, that I wouldn't have found or read this on my own. The cover was a conversation starter, as well.
I'll be sending this off tomorrow or the next day!! Thanks!

Released 10 yrs ago (5/5/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA

I sent it off to the next in line, yay!! :)

Journal Entry 9 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
The book came today and I will get started on it this week, as soon as I finish up another bookring. Thank you, MooMoo1977, for sharing it with us. Thanks also to sarkiegirl for mailing it to me.

Journal Entry 10 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
I enjoyed this book, though it seemed to be much longer than it actually was for some reason. I have just started my final internship for college and have a lot going on right now, so that was probably part of the problem at least. I thought the characters were well-developed, though none of them were very likable. I agree with the statement on the back cover that this book is more of a character study than a mystery.

Journal Entry 11 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/27/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to UnwrittenLibra

Journal Entry 12 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Arrived here in Baltimore, MD today - thanks! I have 4 other bookrings on the TBR pile and hopefully I'll work quickly, but I might have this one into the end of July or beginning of August because I'm leaving the country for a month. Still, I'm excited to get to reading it! Thanks again for including me :)

Journal Entry 13 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
An excellent book. Sent off to Norway via Riderwood, Maryland yesterday.

Journal Entry 14 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, August 15, 2009
This book was waiting for me when I got back from my vacation in the south of France today. I will only be home for about 18 hours, so the book will be going with me on the next leg of my vacation, in the wild Norwegian mountains. Thanks for sharing, Moo, and thanks to UnwrittenLibra for sending the book on to me!! :-)

I will journal again when I've read the book.

Journal Entry 15 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, August 27, 2009
I've read this book now, read it on my mountain vacation. Started it on August 16th and finished on the 24th. It was a good read, I'd say the second best of the three books I have now read by this author. :-)

I do agree with what others have said, to some extent at least, that the book was a bit too long. But I think that the rambling way in which the story is told contributes so much to that that the book might have felt overlong even if it had been a hundred pages shorter. The writing is typical of Kirino though. I liked the book even though I had certain problems with it ... it was an engrossing read and I found myself wanting to read just one more chapter, just one more chapter ... :-) My main problem with the book was the supposed diary section narrated by the character called Kazue ... it was totally unconvincing as a diary and struck me as an obvious and total forgery. The verb tenses were totally fucked up, I don't see how anyone would ever have bought that as a genuine diary. Yet our heroine supposedly did, while thinking that her sister's diary was much more likely to have been forged. Not credible at all.

I also am weirded out in a way I can't really describe by Kirino's writing style, especially in the dialogue. I can't explain exactly why but it just strikes me as so weird. Such broken and unnatural conversations. But this may be a Japanese thing - I haven't read much Japanese literature other than Kirino's novels. So I don't know, but it's weird. :-)

Overall though it was a very good read, and gave some real insights into Japanese society, so thank you Moo for including me in the ring. :-)

I'll PM the next on the list and get the book moving again soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, September 21, 2009
I finally heard back from Saramuh, she wants to be skipped for this book, so I'll PM okyrhoe for an address.