The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by FreePages of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 12/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, December 18, 2008
I read this last year. I found it a quick read and a refreshing eye-opener to boy living with Asperger syndrome. Always good to see the world through the eyes of someone who sees the same thing very diferently.
An entertaining story as he faces challenges and reveals other secrets in solving the mystery of the demise of the dog.
It reads like kids fiction, because it is told through Christopher, but I am not sure it would really appeal to kids (not to my teenagers anyway, I'm afraid), an adult's understanding is of benefit in reading this book.
It's a very good addition to the 1001 must read list. Number 19 on the list.

Paperback. 269 pages.

Journal Entry 2 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, December 20, 2008
I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

Starting a Bookring for this one. Only Australian participants so far, but might go International, if there are enough Aussies who are able to post Internationally :-)
Order of Participants is not set and subject to change without notice.

Bookring rules

The Usual Rules Apply

1. When you receive the book make a journal entry so that we all know that it has arrived safely.
2. After you have read the book, journal what you thought of it.
3. Contact the next person after you in the list for their address.
4. Send the book on. Journal as A Controlled Release.
5. If you are going to keep the book for more than a month contact FreePages or make a journal entry, so I know the ring is not stalled. If you are contacted for your address and you have thousands of bookrings in your TBR pile, instead of holding up the ring or skipping the book, the order may be able to be changed so that you don't miss out. PM Freepages.
6. Any questions or problems PM Freepages, anytime.
7. Enjoy the ring :-) and please consider leaving a tiny footprint to show it was in your hands mine is a :-) on page 176 or on the last page whichever comes first :-)

Participants

Manbits (Adelaide, SA)
Elddau1 (Bungendore, NSW)
countdebeans (Bungendore, NSW)

My Aunty =>book is here

...AND back to Freepages.

Journal Entry 3 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/28/2009 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The bookring (or book triangle ;-)
has started.

Released into the post to manbits.

Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Manbits from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, February 05, 2009
recieved in post. Thanks Freepages!

Written from the POV of a boy with a type of high-functioning autism, this was an absorbing read.

Journal Entry 5 by Elddau1 from Yass, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 22, 2009
Arrived in the post this morning. Thanks for sending it along Manbits. I've started reading it already although I really shouldn;t yet...

Journal Entry 6 by Elddau1 from Yass, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
I really enjoyed Curious Incident! I started reading it while I was in the middle of another book and found I wanted to stay with Christopher and his detecting.
I'm giving it a 9 for my enjoyment as well as for the skill of the writing. (10 for me is a book with a life lesson or that touched in a profound way.)
It's craft is deceptively simple. It was simply written but extremely well done so it is a mark of the skill of the author that the voice of Christopher was entirely natural and believable. Mark Haddon must know the subject very well.
It was much more of a book than I thought is was going to be too. I just expected a YA / children's mystery but it went on to have an adult layer.
I've learned something now about my nephew, a boy like Christopher, and his world.

Journal Entry 7 by Elddau1 at by hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/5/2009 UTC) at by hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Passed to countdebeans to read.

Journal Entry 8 by countdebeans from Yass, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 16, 2009
This is one of the quirkiest and most enjoyable books I have read in quite a while. Pretty amazing to come up with the idea of the narrative being in character for the whole book and making it work. I know it was designed as young adult fiction but some of the insights into adult behaviour and the way the world appears from Christopher's viewpoint were truly insightful. The only thing I'm not sure added much value for me was the diagram and mathematic insertions, but it was in character.

Journal Entry 9 by Elddau1 at Bungendore, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, April 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/2/2009 UTC) at Bungendore, New South Wales Australia

Passed on to FreePages' aunt around the corner, as she wanted to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, January 09, 2012
Just been tidying up my shelves and noticed the dog had snuck back into the house one night and I forgot to journal it.
The Dog will be stopping home for a bit now :)