Coyote Blue

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 12/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Thursday, December 25, 2008
Rec'd via Bookmooch.com.

Amazon.com Review
This is an accelerating comedy with shadows setting off the wry, polished humor. Trickster deities thrive on contrariety, which is why one finds them bringing life into dead landscapes and disorder into order. A Santa Barbara insurance salesman's too-tidily-contained lifestyle, far from the Crow reservation he grew up on, is an irresistible target for Coyote, who wants to make sure his chosen people don't forget him. Coyote descends on Sam Hunter like one of Job's plagues, albeit a charmingly disingenuous one. "Why me? Why not someone who believes?" asks Sam, suffering from god-induced chaos. "This is more fun," says Coyote. He's right. -

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Rented audio book from All Ears Audiobooks in Saratoga, CA. Started listening to today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Monday, March 30, 2009
Returned to AllEars Audiobooks on March 27th. I didn't finish the last disk, though, and even though the mp3 files are saved on my computer they don't seem to be compatible with my media player! AAAAARGH!

I'll have to read the ending some other time, I guess. Sam was just about to enter the Underworld where I left off! :( Frustrating! I did enjoy this book, though. Sam Hunter isn't the most sympathetic character, maybe, but his trials with Coyote certainly made for an entertaining listen.

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Rented the audiobook again for a car trip with my fiance. We started listening to the book last Friday the 2nd.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Saturday, March 10, 2012
Finished yesterday.

I finally got to hear the ending of the book - and I must say, I really enjoy Coyote Blue. It might be my favorite of Christopher Moore's novels. There's just something I love about the tale of one of the old gods, Coyote, wreaking havoc on the late 20th century.

Technology never ages well, and I have to admit that Sam's super-connectedness no longer seems quite so high-tech now. That can't be helped, though! For better or worse, Sam is a late 80s/early 90s sales guy, and he has to have the accoutrements to go with it.

Many of my favorite Moore characters appear in this novel. Coyote & Sam, the yin and yang of the Crow nation. Minty Fresh, the most badass muthf***** to spring forth from Moore's pen. Poor Detective Rivera...that guy can never, ever catch a break! I just love it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, July 04, 2016
Loaned to my friend Jeans.