corner corner 1917: Russia's Revolutionary Year

1917: Russia's Revolutionary Year
by Roy Bainton | History
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/17/2008

status (set by emmejo): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"One momentous year in Russian history as witnessed on the streets of Petrograd."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Hubby's book, ready to move on.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (1/9/2018 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Congratulations on winning the non-fiction sweeps!

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Thank you so much! This looks like an interesting read.

Journal Entry 5 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018

This was a surprisingly quick, compelling read. It feels a little uncertain about exactly what it is trying to accomplish; is it more like a historical narrative, or should it be more scholarly? And that split is displayed in a lot of the highly political content too.

It definitely isn't a book that leads the reader to a conclusion on any aspect of the rise of the Soviet Union. It simply presents the sometimes-conflicting info provided by those who lived through the early days and documents of the time in a quick-moving stream. Sometimes it seemed a little too hasty; there were several points where a particular figure was mentioned, and I went flipping back trying to match that familiar-sounding name to someone in earlier events.

Overall, I think I learned some interesting things about a time period I wasn't very familiar with, but I also finished the book feeling a bit scattered and in need of more info to draw any real conclusions.