Rubyfruit Jungle

by Rita Mae Brown | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 12/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Thank you so much, BerlinBookworm!
Edit, January 30, 2009: The first milestone novel of this author - written in 1973. It's about growing up a lesbian in America; at times most funny, then again very deep and also with a nice erotic touch.
This is part of the "BM8 erotic book spiral" - as some kind of a counter-point to the other books... ;)

Journal Entry 2 by book-man-8 at on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/20/2009 UTC) at

This book is now off to the Swiss Alps. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
I can't remember if I ever read this book or not - if I did it was probably at least twenty (thirty??) years ago, so I guess it would be time for a reread. Next in the spiral, I think I may enjoy this more than some of the others!

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I thought I had already read this, but if I did it left no impression. My feeling is that this must have been quite revolutionary when it first came out, but seems fairly tame now. The ending, according to the back cover, should be positive, but quite frankly it felt a bit sad to me. Fortunately much has changed in the intervening years, even if so very much still remains to be changed. Or perhaps I just have lived in more open-minded communities. At anyrate the core issues of what women should aim for and be allowed to do have progressed, mainly thanks to the women's movements around the world. Now if only the rising generations will continue and not take too much for granted - working with girls, I notice how often they're keen to play with the old roles and are not as conscious of the need to be affirmative and strong as my generation has been...
This will go to Greece soon, thanks so much for making it available.

On its way to Athens with another from the spiral. Enjoy, and sorry these stayed in the Alps so long!

Journal Entry 6 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, July 07, 2009
Arrived in Athens.

Link to the spiral's journal.

Journal Entry 7 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, July 16, 2009
The novel appears to blend Huckleberry Finn with The Portrait of an Artist as a Young (Wo)Man. -- Not to mention that the name Molly Bolt somehow resembles Molly Bloom.

There are some funny moments, and some interesting observations by the young Molly, especially in her one line critiques of social norms. Oftentimes, though, one wonders if it's really the teen/young woman who is gifted with this sharp perception, or if it is actually the vision of a much older & experienced person (i.e., the 50-year-old of the last page).

If you take a look at Rita Mae Brown's personal website, esp. her bio page, you'll notice the same 'voice' as Molly.

Coincidentally, I had just finished reading Some Like it Dark: The Intimate Biography of a Negro Call Girl. It's interesting to notice the similarities in the two young women's narratives, esp. about being a single woman trying to make it big in the city....

Journal Entry 8 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Book is here!

Journal Entry 9 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Received today - thank you

Journal Entry 10 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 16, 2009
I'm afraid that I couldn't really get into this book. I started off quite intrigued, but soon became a bit bored by it. As has been said before, it probably was quite shocking when published, but I've read a lot worse! A entertaining book in its way, but not something I think I would return to or make me seek out more of the authors work.

Released 10 yrs ago (9/17/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Continuing on it's bookring journey

Journal Entry 12 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, September 21, 2009
The book arrived today, thanks dark-draco:) this one seems interesting, will try to get to it as soon as I can:)

Journal Entry 13 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Wednesday, October 07, 2009
I found it a bit hard to get into the book at first but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Such an interesting story - luckily lots has changed since it was written but there are still lots of things that need to change.

Will mail the book to the next reader at the end of this week:)

Journal Entry 14 by wingBjorgwing at Woodstock, New York USA on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/9/2009 UTC) at Woodstock, New York USA

The book will now continue it´s journey and next go to JennyC1230:)

Journal Entry 15 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2009
This book is here! I will read it after my current book.

P.S. I may have read this one a long time ago, but it's been so long it will be like reading it the first time. :-)

Journal Entry 16 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, December 11, 2009
I couldn't get into this one so I gave up, I am planning to send it to awakeagain next Monday along with another book in the spiral.

Journal Entry 17 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Sending to awakeagain today via Media Mail, Delivery Confirmation #03080660000037054507.

Journal Entry 18 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010
Received this one a couple of days ago and already finished it. I remember the title from years ago but didn't read until now. It's definitely showing it's age. Much of what was considered shocking at the time seems everyday

Journal Entry 19 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2010
On it's way to IceAgent. Thanks for including me in this spiral.

Journal Entry 20 by IceAgent at Madsen, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 21, 2010