Piercing the Darkness (Undercover With Vampires In America Today)

by Katherine Ramsland | Nonfiction |
Registered by mysticalzoe of Gardiner, Maine USA on 12/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by mysticalzoe from Gardiner, Maine USA on Monday, December 15, 2008
Katherine Ramsland sets Piercing the Darkness up as a story about Susan Walsh, a wannabe journalist who mysteriously disappeared while researching "real" vampires. While that story line ultimately sees less light than the vampires themselves, Ramsland's rambunctious, rambling tales of nightclubbing, international travel, and meticulous wardrobe selection among the creatures of the night provide ample entertainment. The book traces her circuitous route through AOL chat rooms, Paris's underground tunnels, and any number of goth and "vampyre" clubs, pursuing leads and hunches that seem to materialize from thin air. What the story might lack in integrity, it more than makes up for in sheer strangeness.
With each new foray by Ramsland (previously noted for celebrating Anne Rice in several books) into the unknown, we are treated to fascinating insights into the personalities and motivations of people who might well be the world's most devoted fans of Rice's supernatural melodramas. Ramsland is admirably guileless throughout, throwing herself, body and soul, into situations that would run counter to most people's common sense. In one memorable scene inside an exclusive S/M club, Ramsland concludes an evening of research by treating a female masochist to a good, solid whipping. A rollicking story of blood, sex, violence, and fashion in all their various combinations.

I am almost done with this book, and it's facinating, they not only talk about so-called real vampires, people who think they really are vampires, but they also talk about the psychological behind the vampire, what made these people this way. She interviews many people and goes to many interesting places to get her research done. I have 4 more chapters to go, and will report the rest of it. I cannot put this book down and may offer this up for a ring, for interested people! Yeah I finished reading this book yesterday and wow, what an interesting bunch of people. I have decided to post this in the bookrings for a ring. I will send it out hopefully by januray 2009.

Bookring participants:
1.Classicfox~OH US only
2.sunfi~OH US Shipping
3.jennyc1230~USA only
4 flossie771~USA only
5.Scoobs-buddy~USA only
6.Bkind2books~TN US shipping
7.rebel-padawn~MN Can Ship anywhere<--It's here!
8.Supertayla~APO not sure
9.booksnbeer~VA
10. Back to mysticalzoe

Journal Entry 2 by mysticalzoe at Gardiner, Maine USA on Friday, January 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/2/2009 UTC) at Gardiner, Maine USA

Finally sending this off today!! Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by classicfox on Friday, January 09, 2009
Arrived today and looks like something I can really sink my teeth into! Ooh, I do apologize for really lame joke, but thanks for sending mysticalzoe, and I have printed the BCID in front of book as requested. :)

Journal Entry 4 by classicfox on Saturday, January 31, 2009
Well, I have mixed feelings about this book. But first I have to explain that I read about half the book, then skimmed the rest. While I found it interesting and also fascinating, it was very disturbing at the same time. Many of these "vampires" are just living out a fantasy, while not really believing they are the real thing, while there are some (and from what I read they are the minority) that really do believe they are immortal and are truly "vampyres," spelled this way to indicate they are real. This is what I found disturbing. To be so extremely unhappy and disatisfied with the real world and their real lives, thay resort to convincing themselves that this is a real lifestyle. But I suppose if they truly believe that, then it *is* a reality for them.
Also the book is very dated. Written in the 90's, there are numerous references to Anne Rice and her tremendous influence on the vampire community. It would be interesting to read an updated version of this book and have the author interview Rice and her conversion to Christianity and discuss her latest books about Christ's life; and to hear Rice's comments on what she belives now. Of course this can be researched and I may do that.
After having said all the above, I did find the stories quite fascinating and each and every vampire had his/her own story to tell. I found the author very brave to venture into this underground world of which she knew next to nothing at first.
I recommend the book if you like vampire books/movies, but for me, I think I'll stick with the fiction.
Thank you, mysticalzoe for the opportunity to give this book a go and I am glad I did. I didn't finish it as I said, but I skimmed enough to get the gist. I will be mailing this to sunfi this week. I am frustrated about one thing and I will type it in white ink so as not to spoil anything: Run your cursor over below if you don't mind a spoiler:
The question remains: What the heck happened to Susan Walsh??? That this was never answered as apparently nobody "in the know" is talking, so we may never find out!

Journal Entry 5 by classicfox at Controlled Release, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 02, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (2/2/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today to sunfi. Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 07, 2009
Just received this in the mail. I have 5 rings ahead of this one but will have it on it's way in the next 6 weeks or so. Thanks for including me in this one mysticalzoe and sending it to me classicfox.

Journal Entry 7 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/30/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Just finished this one, I thought the book was leading up to a more satisfied ending, I was let down. No real surprises or earth-shattering revelations, not what I was expecting/hoping for. This is on its way to JennyC1230 now. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, April 03, 2009
I received this one yesterday! I will start it after the book I am reading now. Thanks for sharing your book!

April 12, 2009:

I read about halfway through and it just didn't hold my interest. It was interesting, but I guess I enjoy reading fictional vampire books rather than "real" vampire stories. Thank you for sharing Mysticalzoe!

Journal Entry 9 by Lumbermoose from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, April 13, 2009
Thanks, mysticalzoe, for including me. JennyC1230 has flossie771's address, so we'll pass it on as soon as I finish it (starting today).

4/21/09 -- Same as a few readers. I was really interested in reading more on this topic, but I just couldn't get past the "textbook" style of writing. I ended up scanning the majority of the book.

JennyC has a few for flossie771, so we'll send it on. Thank you, mysticalzoe!

Journal Entry 10 by Lumbermoose at -- Mail or by hand,rings, RABCK, meetings, web, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/22/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand,rings, RABCK, meetings, web, Georgia USA

Sending on to flossie771

Journal Entry 11 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, April 23, 2009
I received this bookray today. It looks interesting, I will try to get to it quickly. Thanks JennyC1230 for sending it to me and thanks to mysticalzoe for including me.

Journal Entry 12 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Friday, April 24, 2009
This book was not really what I was expecting. It was a little too odd for my taste, but it was quite interesting. (Just not my thing)
I have the next address, so I will get it mailed off soon. Thanks for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 13 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/27/2009 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

mailed to next person today

Journal Entry 14 by rem_XDP-320934 on Saturday, May 02, 2009
Thanks-- I'll put aside my current book & begin this one later today

Journal Entry 15 by rem_XDP-320934 on Thursday, May 14, 2009
Could've been written in a much more interesting way. Found myself reading a little then laying it aside to read something else- disappointing because I was expecting it to be much better. I'll get in the mail soon as i get an address from Bug2004

Bug2004 asked to be skipped so I've contacted Bkind2books for mailing info

Released 9 yrs ago (5/19/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

off to Bkind2books

Journal Entry 17 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, May 23, 2009
I am looking forward to reading this - it's next on Mt TBR. Thanks, mysticalzoe, for organizing this bookring!

Journal Entry 18 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, June 14, 2009
This story begins with a mystery - the disappearance of Susan Walsh - and morphs into an exploration of the vampire culture of the 90's. The mystery of Walsh is never resolved and that seems wholly unsatisfying; however, the exploration of the vampire culture is fascinating and the story of Wraith is mesmerizing in the same way a cobra is mesmerizing. I found myself thinking that this book really does deserve an update - I wonder what Ramsland would make of the resurgence of vampires in the popular media. Overall this was an interesting book.

Will mail in the next day or so. Thanks for this ring, mysticalzoe.

Journal Entry 19 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/16/2009 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Mailed to rebel-padawan.

Delivery confirmation #0308 0660 0001 3553 4789

Journal Entry 20 by rebel-padawan from Redlake, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
received yesterday from Bkindtobooks, looks to be interesting. Odd how it is timing wise though, as I picked a fiction book to read today that deals in vampire cults in New Orleans.
Will get this read as soon as I can, I have two rings ahead of it.

Journal Entry 21 by rebel-padawan from Redlake, Minnesota USA on Thursday, September 03, 2009
Been trying to read this forever now. Each time I pick it up I have to go back to the beginning, so I think I'm throwing in the towel here on this book. Marking reserved until I hear from the next person.