corner corner On the Beach

On the Beach
by Nevil Shute | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Stromend-Water of Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on 12/10/2008

status (set by daffodil-2): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Stromend-Water from Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I remember this book since I was young, I hope you will enjoy it. I have read it during my holydays, which was a bit heavy literature for that time.

Dit boek had ik twee keer in de kast staan. 1 heel oudje die al bij mijn ouders in de kast stond en deze. Ik vind het boek de moeite waard. Dit exemplaar mag lekker weer op reis. Ik hoop dat het een nieuwe lezer vindt. Ik hoop dat je het boek de moeite waard vindt, of dat je er door bookcrossing leert kennen.
Hartelijke groet,
Stromend-Water

Journal Entry 2 by Stromend-Water at Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/11/2009 UTC) at Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands

This book goes to Gyralanivos, because I knew he was planning to send it to someone and got another wish for it (within a week). I had one spare, and we share books, so it's traveling to England. I hope you will enjoy it. :-)

Journal Entry 3 by Gyralanivos from Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I got this book as a present for sending to England.

Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 4 by Gyralanivos at - Per post of in persoon doorgegeven, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/11/2009 UTC) at - Per post of in persoon doorgegeven, Gelderland Netherlands

This book travels to England to da-wildchildz.

I hope, you'll enjoy this book from your wish-list!

Journal Entry 5 by da-wildchildz from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, November 16, 2009

This just arrived in the post with lots of lovely stamps on the packaging. Many thanks to Gyralanivos for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 6 by da-wildchildz at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 04, 2017

A good, engaging read.

Journal Entry 7 by da-wildchildz at Purple Pumpkin Patch OBCZ in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (4/5/2017 UTC) at Purple Pumpkin Patch OBCZ in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Left on the shelf.

Journal Entry 8 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 09, 2017

Picked up at the Loughborough meet.

Journal Entry 9 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 01, 2018

In the aftermath of a nuclear war people in the southern hemisphere wait for the radiation and death to come.
In southern Australia life seems to be carrying on almost normally, people still go to work and talk about and plan for, the future.
I kept thinking about the film The War Game, the contrast is remarkable, in that, people loot and riot and there is complete anarchy. Despite having emigrated to Australia, Neville Shute was a middle-class Englishman at heart, did he think that was how people would behave under those circumstances, with stiff upper lip firmly in place? I'm not convinced, myself - the book is definitely of it's time, there are hints of misogyny here and there and I really didn't like how Shute kept referring to baby Jennifer as "it". Despite that I found it a compelling read and I would like to read more of Shute's books, the only other of his I have read is A Town Like Alice.

Journal Entry 10 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, February 05, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (2/5/2018 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

On it's way to daffodil -2.

Journal Entry 11 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Received in the post today from Raeliz64 along with another wishlist book (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child). Thanks very much-will look forward to reading them both asap.