The Scar

by China Miéville | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 12/9/2008
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Got this for my 30th birthday from dasaug. Curious! ;D

Edit (a month later, while reading Perdido Street Station):
Feloris has also got a copy of Perdido Street Station and might want to read this too at some point.
linguistkris has already read the prequel and expressed curiosity about The Scar.
So this book might want to travel to Graz some time... ;)
[even later] More people might be interested:
Remember to ask Secundus and Sandwood! :)

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wow. I'm still stunned at how well-written (and well-constructed) this book is.
I'll try not to post any spoilers here; I just wanted to say that although it took me a long while to read this, I really, really enjoyed it.
There are a lot of different scars in this story, and they are all meaningful (and some of them are symbolic, too) - but you won't believe where this story will take you, and what (and whom) you'll encounter on the way.
Interestingly for me, I didn't like the "main" main character at all. Everything I found amazing, Bellis Coldwine disliked. Everything Bellis Coldwine resented, I wanted to know more about. Well, maybe I'm just not a Crobuzoner girl.
But I really liked Uther Doul. Despite - or maybe because of - everything. ;)

This book will visit linguistkris and Feloris in Graz - and then return to be read by Secundus, who has quickly become a fan as well. :))

Journal Entry 3 by anathema-device at on Monday, July 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/19/2009 UTC) at

Handed over to nephros who will pass it on to linguistkris as soon as she's back from her holiday. :)

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Oooh yes, thank you! How I am looking forward to this one! :D Luckily, the Enid Blyton(!) which is lying next to my pillow will not pose much of a delay...

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, September 24, 2009
An absolutely stunning book. Even though Miévielle's language and the mechanics of Bas Lag didn't take me as much by surprise as in Perdido Street Station, I was still at times overwhelmed with the immensely rich imagination that just about every word of this story oozes.
In comparison to Perdido Street, I didn't find The Scar as scary, and I didn't sympathise as much with the characters, probably because I took a lot longer to warm with them. At the same time, I found the psychology -if possible- even more interesting, and discovering yet more of Bas Lags species was a special treat.

In response to anathema-device's review: Although I can't say I loved Bellis, I thought she made a fine heroine, with a good narrator's voice and a tragic flaw that made her quite interesting, all the more so on the very last few pages. I also liked Tanner a lot, although not so much in the passages he narrated. Uther I found simply too smug to be all that interesting -- we won't have to have a mud (or glad'?) fight over him, he's all yours (if Feloris doesn't beg to differ ;))!

On a completely different note: I've rarely seen a paperback of inferior quality: after only two readers, this book looks like it's been through more than a few pirate attacks. I doubt the spine will last much longer before the first pages are shed. And to think I didn't even take this anywhere but read mostly in bed! >:/

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing at Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/18/2009 UTC) at Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Nun habe ich Feloris mindestens schon dreimal getroffen, seit ich "The Scar" ausgelesen habe -- und immer das Buch vergessen! Beim nächsten Mal denke ich hoffentlich daran.

Journal Entry 7 by feloris from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, October 20, 2009
So many lovely books! Thanks! :D
I guess I'll dump the useless self-help/spiritual/whatever it is supposed to be book that I was trying to read, and have some fun with this instead. :)

Journal Entry 8 by feloris from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, February 26, 2010
[Spoilers ahead!]

No, no mud fight over Uther Doul, it seems.

It's been some weeks since I read it, so I'm not totally gushing over the beautiful language anymore. But I think this - the beautiful language - is one of the main things that makes me love Miévilles books so much. No matter how crazy and unusual the surroundings he describes may be, the vivid descriptions make them come to life.
I also feel that this book was far less scary than Perdido Street Station. It was beautiful and intriguing and manylayered, but not scary.
For me, Perdido Street Station had the smoother plot (getting rid of the moths again), but I couldn't really gather up much sympathy for the main character. The Scar felt more like stop-and-go...you think one thing is the big thing that will be achieved, but when that is achieved, here comes a new plan...it somehow didn't gather that much momentum for me...but at least I could feel with Bellis. I could understand her need to get away from home and back home simultaneously quite well, and how she wanted both to save Armada and get rid of it.
Uther Doul - I have no idea why some people like him so much. It's not as if he does such a lot. His skills sound intriguing, but he does not. He seemed like a hypocrite to me, not wanting to be a leader, but then being the mastermind in the shadows...bleh. And as to why he helped the Lovers almost reach the Scar and then destroyed their plans...who knows? Did he want to get rid of the one all the time? But if so - why?
Well.
Bellis, Tanner, and Silas (as destructive as he may be) - those I could relate to. :)

(And I really liked the anophelii island.)

Who's next?

Journal Entry 9 by Sandwood at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Thursday, May 26, 2011
A quick note to let you know the book's currently staying here with me... It was passed on to me by Mr Secundus a few weeks ago and I already finished reading it, but somehow I totally forgot to write a journal entry until now.

I'm not sure if I can actually come up with a coherent sounding review at the moment, so I'll leave that for later when I've thought about it some more.

Journal Entry 10 by Sandwood at BookRing, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 23, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/23/2012 UTC) at BookRing, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Aaand back to anathema-device!

I'll bring it to the post office tomorrow, so it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday, don't think it'll take any longer than that.

Journal Entry 11 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Arrived back home, safe and sound. :))

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bookring - for taking care of this book and for sharing your reading experiences.

Journal Entry 12 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (7/19/2012 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

Since I have a second copy of this book now, this one is going on an adventure.
I was planning to keep it in my Permanent Collection - but now it's travelling to the USA in a mysterybox. I hope its next reader will love it as much as the previous ones! :))

Journal Entry 13 by acieboots at Long Beach, California USA on Friday, August 03, 2012
Just received this book and am very excited to read it - and even more excited to be a part of its journey :)