In Fond Remembrance of Me: A Memoir of Myth and Uncommon Friendship in the Arctic

by Howard Norman | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by geishabird of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 12/8/2008
Journal Entry 1 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 08, 2008
In the fall of 1977, Howard Norman went to Churchill, Manitoba, to translate Inuit folktales, and there he met Helen Tanizaki, an extraordinary linguist translating the same tales into Japanese. In Fond Remembrance of Me recaptures their intimacy, and the remarkable influence that she, and the tales themselves, would have on the future novelist. Through a series of overlapping panels of reality and memory, Norman evokes with vivid immediacy their brief but life-shifting encounter, and the earthy, robust Inuit folklore that occasioned it.

A very sweet little memoir. Howard Norman's fondness for Helen Tanizaki is evident in the portrait he creates of their brief friendship. She sounds like someone I would like to have known. I particularly liked the way Norman describes Helen's attitude towards her illness - she's very human, not unrealistically heroic, about the fact of her impending death. I felt very privileged to have spent some time with her.

The Inuit Noah stories were hilarious! A terrific example of the particular Inuit sense of humour. They are a fascinating people and I wish they'd fared better at the hands of "civilization." That's one chapter in Canadian history we can't be particularly proud of.

Sending this to cosmic-gin; I hope you like it!

Journal Entry 2 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 25, 2008
Love it!!!! Thanks so much for picking this one out for me. I too love Inuit culture and all First Nations Canada & USA stories are my faves (besides my own Australian Aboriginal ones of course). Really excited by this book and the entire 'Boxing Day Exchange' package you sent me. So kind and thoughtful - loved everything. Can't wait to read this book - might even start today :)