Kafka on the Shore

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Supertalya on 12/8/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Supertalya on Monday, December 08, 2008
One of my favorite books of all time. I picked up another copy to release.

With Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami gives us a novel every bit as ambitious and expansive as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which has been acclaimed both here and around the world for its uncommon ambition and achievement, and whose still-growing popularity suggests that it will be read and admired for decades to come.

This magnificent new novel has a similarly extraordinary scope and the same capacity to amaze, entertain, and bewitch the reader. A tour de force of metaphysical reality, it is powered by two remarkable characters: a teenage boy, Kafka Tamura, who runs away from home either to escape a gruesome oedipal prophecy or to search for his long-missing mother and sister; and an aging simpleton called Nakata, who never recovered from a wartime affliction and now is drawn toward Kafka for reasons that, like the most basic activities of daily life, he cannot fathom. Their odyssey, as mysterious to them as it is to us, is enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerizing events. Cats and people carry on conversations, a ghostlike pimp employs a Hegel-quoting prostitute, a forest harbors soldiers apparently unaged since World War II, and rainstorms of fish (and worse) fall from the sky. There is a brutal murder, with the identity of both victim and perpetrator a riddle–yet this, along with everything else, is eventually answered, just as the entwined destinies of Kafka and Nakata are gradually revealed, with one escaping his fate entirely and the other given a fresh start on his own.

Extravagant in its accomplishment, Kafka on the Shore displays one of the world’s truly great storytellers at the height of his powers.

Journal Entry 2 by Supertalya at www.bookobsessed.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at www.bookobsessed.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 03, 2009
received today in the mail. Thanks

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
To describe Kafka on the Shore as 'off the wall' is an understatement. The story starts with Kafka Tamura leaving home and going to the seaside village of Takamatsu. Kafka talks to a crow and reassures himself that he is the strongest 15 year old in the world. There he spends his days in self-education at a small private library. He is befriended by the clerk and a very remote head librarian. He dreams about his long-lost mother and sister.

A parallel story is about a illiterate elderly Toyko man who finds cats by talking to them. he commits a murder and decides to leave Tokyo. He is befriended by a truck driver who seems to be willing to do anything for this man.

It is absolutely surreal what happens afterwords. Fish fall from the sky, WWII soldiers never age and Colonel Sanders points the old man in the right direction.

This book would be a delight for those who love to interpret and have an intellectual read. Although the book is also a delightful straight-forward read, it is sometimes easy to get bogged down in the weirdness.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
mailed to my birthday partner today

Journal Entry 6 by hobbit from Riobamba, Chimborazo Ecuador on Thursday, September 10, 2009
Received as a birthday gift - thanks very much! I've heard great reviews of this book and it was on my wishlist.

Between my birthday and now when I have an hour at the library to register, I've read and enjoyed it.

It's an interesting and sometimes strange novel. I loved some of the descriptive passages in the early chapters. And it kept me guessing the whole way - lots of possible theories popped up in my mind to explain what was happening, from space aliens to supernatural forces. Very interesting characters, too.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it next. Right now I'm residing in a very rural area and I don't know if it would appeal to anyone here. I'll think about it.

Journal Entry 7 by hobbit at Surabaya, East Java Indonesia on Wednesday, November 24, 2010
I ended up tucking this book into my luggage when I came to Indonesia for a year, figuring I'd release it somewhere. I've passed it on to a fellow English teacher who was interested in it.