Chills and Thrills: Tales of Terror and Enchantment

by Many authors | Horror |
Registered by hagathorn of Grand Island, New York USA on 12/8/2008
Journal Entry 1 by hagathorn from Grand Island, New York USA on Monday, December 08, 2008
TBR. Purchased from second hand store

Journal Entry 2 by hagathorn at Wild Release in Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (10/20/2013 UTC) at Wild Release in Buffalo, New York USA

This could end up anywhere while I am on vacation. Enjoy the book and feel free to join bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, October 25, 2013
Found this in hubby's truck after returning from vacation with hagathorn.
Not sure if this was meant to be released in the truck or if it is an escapee from her stash of books she brought along to release.

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Sunday, May 28, 2017
Pure brain candy ... which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Journal Entry 5 by book_drunkard at Bookbox, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/22/2018 UTC) at Bookbox, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Sending off on a journey in "The Otherworldly" bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Otherworldly bookbox. I love ghost stories, and this collection includes some classics as well as some that are new to me. There are urban legends and folk tales, classics like Stevenson's "The Body Snatcher", and even some whimsical stories such as Stephen Leacock's “Q. A Psychic Pstory of the Psupernatural".

Among my favorites: Calvino's "The Devil's Breeches," a modern take on a deal-with-the-devil with an ending that seems upbeat and yet suggests darkness to come; Thomas Hardy's poem on the transitory nature of life, "Ah, Are You Digging On My Grave?"; the horrifying-revenge story "The Cedar Closet" by Lafcadio Hearn; Nathaniel Hawthorne's retelling of the Perseus myth, "The Gorgon's Head"; the tragic "An Unposted Letter" by Newton MacTavish; and "The Woodcutter's Wife" by Priscilla Galloway, a look at "Hansel and Gretel" from the viewpoint of the wicked stepmother - and with a nicely chilling conclusion.

There are color and black-and-white illustrations throughout, some quite creepy and others a bit juvenile, but overall it's a nice collection.

Released 2 yrs ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at Greenwood Park, across from Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, in Greenwood Park while geocaching in the area; hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***