Seduction of Water

by Carol Goodman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by johnevelyn of Lantau Island, Islands Hong Kong on 12/7/2008
Journal Entry 1 by johnevelyn from Lantau Island, Islands Hong Kong on Sunday, December 7, 2008
Caroline here: Really enjoyed this book, captivated me and felt the author really made her characters come alive. Minor quibble is that the plot got too complicated, and sometimes less is more.

Journal Entry 2 by johnevelyn at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 14, 2013

Released 9 yrs ago (10/12/2013 UTC) at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to rainbow3 as a part of a swap :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Many thanks johnevelyn for The Seduction of Water it arrived safe and sound in Aberdeen at my mums around Tuesday the 15th. I am due you an apology for my delay in posting this journal entry to let you know the book arrived with me so I am glad to be visiting a wifi zone today so I can at last say THANKS, cheers rainbow3

Journal Entry 4 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 8, 2021
Now at the top of a book pile, so limbering up to read this next. — Woohoo
---------------------

Book burble: Many years ago, Iris Greenfeder's mother disappeared. They were living at Hotel Equinox where Iris's father was the manager and where Iris's mother wrote delicate, powerful fantasies. Then she took a train and never returned, dying in a hotel fire in Brooklyn where she was registered as another man's wife.

Returning to Hotel Equinox, (now a struggling academic,) Iris needs to find the truth about her mother; some keys are held in those fantastical writings and others in the memories of those who knew her. Kay Greenfeder, it seems, was a woman without a past. But as Iris begins to untangle the secrets of years before, she realises that the past was very different to what she had believed, and much more dangerous...

THE SEDUCTION OF WATER by CAROL GOOD MAN (2003) | ISBN: 978-0-09-943562-4 (UK ED PB) | Publisher: Arrow

Journal Entry 5 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Hmm, a bitty mesmerising, bitty lonesome, bitty lyrical, certainly more than a bitty gripping as its liberally laced with a whole load of suspensful.

At page 129 I was finding the enerverating tension, introduced from early on, twanging as I waited for a sword to drop. Then a revelation from Iris's Aunt Sophie about who has bought the Hotel Equinox, the hotel her families lives were entwined with. However, the tension continues to rise, as the mysteries surrounding Iris's mother continue to accumulate.

At this point those Iris has met through her literary connections take a greater part in her life; literary students she's been coaching, one of them Adain Barry, a young man recently released from incarceration, Harry Kron, a wealthy hotelier, and Hedda Wolfe a literary agent. Summer on the horizon, Jack, a painter, her long term boyfriend contracts to live in an closed artists commune for the duration and Iris dedicates herself to living and working in the Equinox while pursuing a writing project about her mother in her spare time. Iris's loneliness and Jack's pulling further away emotionally makes me fearful that Iris will be propelled into an unwise liaison with Aidan.

The Seduction of Water is an uncomfortable read so frought with threatened heartbreak and unresolved anexity. Its a highly complex tale whose fascinating depth through its many layers brought to life vividly the tales of those within its pages. So much so that it was sad to have to let go of the Equinox and Iris's story by the book's end, and yes the Equinox and its setting were as much a character throughout the book as were the folk working in and visiting it.

Bitty much though, the huge interconnected tangle of lives and mid way I was meandering and getting lost. Though both the lovely lyrical quality and the mystery and suspense worked to keep my grip firm while my fingers were busy turning pages.

Oops, much more scribbles than intended, needs editing but that later perhaps.
[Sun 08 - Sat 14 Aug 2021]
---------------------

Hmm, I have three ideas for forwarding this onto another reader, which will I follow up on?

Journal Entry 6 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Already with its intended recipient who is kindly holding off making a 'caught' journal entry till I have officially made a 'release' journal entry! Book 12, of an ADVENT CALENDAR OF BOOKCROSSING BOOKS sent to eager readers in Somerset. Expecting this only to have one reader in this household but ill hang fire on that thought as one never knows...

Biggest and best FESTIVE GREETINGS from rainbow3. ��😃

Journal Entry 7 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
An exceedingly late journaling of the parts of the Advent Calendar of Books received in December 2021. Apologies rainbow3, these have been awaiting journaling for ages, forgotten about, remembered again, forgotten again and only now have finally I got around to these!

A book I have heard of but not got around to. This will give me the opportunity to do so.