The Way the Crow Flies

by Ann-Marie MacDonald | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 12/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, December 05, 2008
From the back cover: "In "The Way the Crow Flies", Ann-Marie MacDonald takes us back to the early 1960's, a time of optimism infused with the excitement of the space race and overshadowed by the menace of the Cold War - a world filtered through the imagination of Madeleine McCarthy, a spirited eight-year-old. Unaware that her father, Jack, is caught up in his own web of secrets, she at first welcomes her family's posting to a sleepy air force base in Ontario. But then tradegy strikes, and a local murder intersects with global forces. As tension builds, Jack must decide where his loyalty lies, and Madeleine learns about the ambiguity of human morality - a lesson that will only become clear when the quest for the truth, and the killer, is renewed twenty years later."

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, December 12, 2008
This was an incredible book that had me in tears at the end. It left me with such a feeling of sadness for this family, although Madeleine says to her Mom, "I'm okey now Mom." I think my sadness was for the parents and how they, especially the father, thought they were keeping their children "safe". It is very thought-provoking politically. So much sadness in the quest for power. It takes a while to get into and builds up slowly, but it is such a good book.

Gave book away. Hope someone journals it someday.