Max

by Howard Fast | Graphic Novels |
Registered by tenetene of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 11/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by tenetene from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
A book from Mom's shelf. I've decided I must start just releasing them~~if I read all of Mum's books, I'll never get to the ones on my own "to read" list :)

To the Finder of this Book-

Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --hopefully make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (no cost!). Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it free "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, June 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/3/2011 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Ok, this has sat on my shelf for what, 3 years now? waiting for me to get around to reading it (I find I loathe releasing books I haven't read), and I keep passing it by~~just doesn't look like my sort of book. So..... the ABC Bookbox is here, and in need of books other than mysteries to put into it.....so....I hope this book jumps out at a next reader ('cause after all, diff'rent strokes make the world go 'round) as a book you've just GOT to read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011
This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California, before continuing its travels in the ABC (Already Book Crossed) Bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 03, 2011
Taking this out of the ABC book box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 17, 2016
I am currently reading this book and will be listing it in bookstogive's Lit/Fic VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 24, 2016

Fictional story of a Jewish kid, child of immigrants, who grows up in Brooklyn's lower east side slums. He is the oldest of the children and when his father dies when he is twelve, he takes over the responsibility for keeping the family alive. He starts out selling bagels and coffee, then starts selling theater tickets. Later he acts in the music halls and then starts his own Nickelodeon theaters. He is clever, he makes money, and he loves the idea of moving pictures. He makes it all the way to millions of dollars, a big studio in the Los Angeles area and the beginning of the talking movies which was in 1927.
Sadly, he was never appreciated by his family. His mother is a terrible character, written in such a gross stereotypical fashion that towards the end I just skipped the scenes that had her in them.
His whole family was just a mess of Jewish stereotypes and it made for unpleasant reading. His brothers were thieves, two sisters married worthless bums, one sister was a spinster, the mother was a shrew. Most of them couldn't get enough money and never contributed. Max was the only one who made money, was generous and liked to help people. The people he should have been able to trust betray him for complicated reasons of their own. It would have been disturbing and upsetting if it wasn't fictional.
As a book it was kind of long-winded and, well me being me, I would have preferred to read histories and biographies of the real people who made those early moving pictures.

This book is reserved for the Lit/Fic VBB

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 02, 2016
Not selected, will be wild released.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, October 07, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (10/6/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA

Little Free Library on 39th Ave NE between 68th and 70th NE