The Rapture of Canaan

by Sheri Reynolds | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cestmoi of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 4/30/2003
Journal Entry 1 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 30, 2003
I read this on the 2 1/2 hour plane trip from Moncton to Hamilton today and could not stop reading. Its a wonderful story of a young girl living in a religious community run by her grandfather. The Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind is a community onto itself with laws and penalties for breaking those laws. They are set apart from the rest of the town and live in fear of God and also Herman, their leader and pastor and confessor. Ninah wants to live her life for Jesus and tries very hard, but she is also intelligent and has many ideas about what is "right" as opposed to what her grandfather tells her is right. She loves listening to her grandmother tell her stories of her childhood and of their life before the church was founded.

I'm sending this off to JuneBug31 because I think she'll enjoy Ninah's story.

Journal Entry 2 by JuneBug31 from Omemee, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 05, 2003
Received this in the mail today from my good buddy cestmoi! The one person I can count on to keep me in reading material!!

Thanks so much my friend!! :o)

Journal Entry 3 by JuneBug31 from Omemee, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 19, 2003
A fascinating read that tells a powerful story about the damage overly zealous religious leaders can create. The story centers mostly around a young girl, Ninah, growing up in the rather fundamentalist Church which is headed by her grandfather, Herman. Ninah struggles with the stringent rules and laws of the Church and her biggest struggle is not "to sin" with her prayer partner James. The punishments for "sin" metted out by Herman are horrendous and cruel, but Ninah accepts them with resolve. It's interesting to see how Ninah's life experiences help her change and understand.

Journal Entry 4 by JuneBug31 at By Mail To A Fellow BookCrosser! in Encino, California USA on Tuesday, September 02, 2003
Release planned for Friday, September 05, 2003 at By Mail To A Fellow BookCrosser! in Encino, California USA.

Sent by Air Mail to 'Sophie100'.

I hope you enjoy the book, I sure did!!

Cheers!! :o)

Journal Entry 5 by sophie100 from Encino, California USA on Monday, September 15, 2003
Thank-you. I got book in mail from Junebug31 today. I'm in the middle of John Rechy's "City of Night" right now. I will get to this when I'm finished. Thanks again.

Journal Entry 6 by sophie100 from Encino, California USA on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
I finished this in one afternoon. Fell in love with the grandmother. Good study of how rules can make you feel safe and make you feel like a prisoner all at the same time. Looking forward to reading "Bitterroot Landing".

Journal Entry 7 by sophie100 at Mailed to sstich79 in Middletown, Kentucky USA on Friday, September 19, 2003
Release planned for Saturday, September 20, 2003 at Mailed to sstich79 in Middletown, Kentucky USA.

Journal Entry 8 by sstich79 from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, September 28, 2003
Received in the mail yesterday, thanks so much! I"m looking forward to it.