Practical Magic

by Alice Hoffman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 11/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, November 14, 2008
Got this at a used book bag sale at Yesterday's Rose thrift shop on Main Street, Fairfax.

2 cassettes/3 hours
Abridged
Read by Cherry Jones

Okay, so I must admit right up front that I am in love with Practical Magic, the movie. I own it on DVD and I'm sure I've seen it at least 10 times- possibly more. Typically, whatever I encounter first (be it movie or book) is what I fall in love with. The book is quite different from the movie, so I couldn't help but be disappointed by this book.

Most noticeably, some of characters are completely different. Sally and Gilly are pretty much the same, and those what really mattered the most to me. And the spirit/tone of the two are exactly the same, which is wonderful. But the whole timeline is different, and Sally's daughters are in their teens instead of 5-7 years old which was shocking. I missed the aunts having a more visible role and the fact that they showed up to fix the situation in the book in about a minute was not very satisfying.

Most (but not all) of the interesting moral twists in the movie don't exist in this version of the book. Most of my favorite moments in the movie weren't even approached in the book, but there were different great moments in the book. The book felt rough and strange to me, since I know the movie so well, but I wonder how much had to do with the fact that it was an abridgment. Still, entire situations were turned around, and that had nothing to do with the abridgment. The fact is, it was an enjoyable read, but didn't give me as much to really think about the way the movie does. There are far fewer twists and turns and fewer dynamics at play.

I feel like it's not fair reviewing this considering my love for the movie, but that's what I came into earreading it with and so that's how I feel about this version of the story. I'm really glad I listened to it, but I still prefer the movie version of characters and story ;-)

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, January 23, 2009
Adding this to my bookbox ray: Earreading Audiobooks on Cassette Bookbox #1

I hope whoever finds it, enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by Mikavr on Monday, January 26, 2009
I'm taking this out of Katekintail's Cassette Audio Book Box Ray! Thank you Kate!

Journal Entry 4 by Mikavr at Asheville, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 04, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/5/2009 UTC) at Asheville, North Carolina USA

This is going in MyssCyn's Audio Box. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 5 by MyssCyn from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, November 07, 2009
This came to me in an audio bookbox I started ages ago. I will listen to it and then send it on a new journey.

Journal Entry 6 by MyssCyn at Clanton, Alabama USA on Monday, July 04, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/4/2011 UTC) at Clanton, Alabama USA

An interesting, fast listen.
Sending to bamaforever who says she likes audios. Also as an apology for to the PO in time to mail before the holiday.

Journal Entry 7 by bamaforever at Clanton, Alabama USA on Saturday, July 30, 2011
in the box from MssCyn.I am sure I will love this one.