My Favourite Wife

by Tony Parsons | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 11/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Friday, November 14, 2008
I bought this book today in the Hong Kong airport, on my way back to LA. Since I crossed the international dateline, it's still today for me, but it's already tomorrow in Hong Kong. Wow, I need some sleep!

I read some previous books by Tony Parsons, like "Man and Boy" and "Man and Wife". Loved them both. This story is about a young couple and their young child who move as ex-pats to Shanghai. I've been there quite few times and can relate to their initial assessment of the city. It's quite impressive, especially at night, when the underbelly isn't quite as obvious. The beggars are very disconcerting, particularly the ones who are terribly deformed and incapacitated. It is also so incongruous with all the sky scrapers. Very glittery and beautiful at night, and the city is growing like crazy.

So far, a good story (I started it on the plane). Will release it when I finish it, maybe a book ray... A wandering book -- the karma of literature!

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008
This was a great story, and very closely describes Shanghai and much of China as I have seen it. Tony Parson's male characters drive me absolutely crazy as they are usually so flawed and weak. The women are stronger and smarter. But I just want to punch the men!

This was so interesting, and just recently in paperback, so I'm going to offer it as a book ring.

Update:
Thanks for joining! I hope you enjoy this book. Here’s the order of the ring:

powaybabe (USA)
Bug2004 (USA)
daniellechonody (USA)
MyssCyn (USA)
judygreeneyes (USA)

Instructions: Please make a journal entry when you receive the book, and then also when you send it out so we know where it is and how you liked the story.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/21/2008 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Off first to powaybabe!

Journal Entry 4 by powaybabe at Poway, California USA on Friday, December 19, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/19/2008 UTC) at Poway, California USA

Great story about life in Shanghai. This book is off by mail to continue the book ray. It's going now to Iagegu in the UK.

Journal Entry 5 by Iagegu from Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Arrived today, thank you for posting it to me. I am in the middle of Jurassic Park at the moment by once I have finished that will get on with this.

Thank you once again.

Updated 04/1/09

Have contacted MarcThomas for his address.

Updated 06/01/09

MarcThomas not ready for book as requested he be put at the end of list. I will contact the next person.

9/1/09

Seems nobody wants this book. I will now contact Purplerosebud.

Journal Entry 6 by Iagegu at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Purplerosebud. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Now arrived safely with me. I have one other book to finish first and then I can get started. I have enjoyed all the other books by Tony Parsons so I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 8 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 06, 2009
As expected I enjoyed reading this book. Once started Tony Parsons books grab me and keep me coming back frequently because I need to know what happens next. I liked the setting, I have been to China/Shanghai briefly so could picture the scenes quite well. I felt as if I was watching a film and wasn't sure how it was going to end. I am still wondering what happened to the characters Bill, Becca and Jin Jin after the final page. A couple of twists along the way that surprised me. Not a 9 for me but definately a good read.

Thanks for sharing, I will be passing this on to Calalilly in a few days, weather permitting.

Journal Entry 9 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2009
Received from Purplerosebud today, unfortunately our weather had stopped us meeting up earlier. I've got another ring in front of this but it shouldn't be too lon before I start this.

Journal Entry 10 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 22, 2009
Another book from Tony Parsons that I really enjoyed. So easy to read. It did make me think about the poorer Chinese people and what their life must be like.
Sending off to gringuitica in the next day or so.

Journal Entry 11 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Monday, March 15, 2010
This book has been missing for a long time, so I'm picking up another copy to continue the ray.

Journal Entry 12 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/7/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

New copy now ready to travel by mail to daniellechonody in Texas. Enjoy!!

(The bookray list is in one of the journal entries near the top)

Journal Entry 13 by daniellechonody from Dallas, Texas USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010
Bit slow posting the arrival of this book - but I'm already more than halfway through and enjoying it so far...

Journal Entry 14 by daniellechonody from Dallas, Texas USA on Sunday, May 02, 2010
I enjoyed learning more about Chinese culture. The book was pretty sad and the ending was too. Good characters and it keep you wondering where it was going.

Journal Entry 15 by daniellechonody at Euless, Texas USA on Sunday, May 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/2/2010 UTC) at Euless, Texas USA

Mailed to next reader on the ring today

Journal Entry 16 by MyssCyn from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, May 08, 2010
Received this book today and I hope to finish it this week.

Journal Entry 17 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, October 07, 2010
This book arrived back by mail today from MyssCyn.

Journal Entry 18 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, October 15, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/15/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Sent off to valpete for her reading enjoyment, because it was on her wishlist and the book needed a new home!

Journal Entry 19 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Thanks for thiking of me, Judy. I've never read this author - have "Man and Boy" on my TBR shelf, too. Hope to get to it soon!

Journal Entry 20 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, October 24, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (10/24/2014 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Sending this along as a trade with another BCer. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2014
If you're going to

play with fire,
it might be best

to stand in the fireplace.