The Black Book

by Iaian Rankin | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 11/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I received this as a birthday present from my boyfriend.

From Chapters:
With this latest action-packed adventure of Edinburgh's Inspector John Rebus, Rankin steps into the company of accomplished fellow British procedural writers John Harvey and Peter Turnbull. Events lead the inspector to consider the "black comedy" of his life. His ex-con brother arrives in town just as Rebus, blown off by his doctor ladyfriend, returns to his own pad where, surrounded by his student tenants, he has to sleep on the couch. He is similarly buffeted on the professional front: a colleague is brained at a restaurant owned by an Elvis enthusiast; a man is stabbed in a butcher shop; a convicted child molester returns to the city; the bullet that killed an unknown man five years ago was fired from a gun that Rebus has unwisely and unwittingly purchased. With the addition of missing vans, a kidnapped man left hanging upside down from a railway bridge, good beer and protection money, Rankin offers about four times as much plot here as in his earlier Strip Jack. This tale is, however, only twice as good, as Rankin tries to resolve everything at the conclusion. A loose end or two never hurt a good crime yarn. Just ask Raymond Chandler.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 02, 2009
John Rebus is back for another installment in his series and is investigating or involved in a variety of cases that look to not have anything to do with each other. Rebus' partner is bashed in the back of the head infront of a local cafe, a butcher's family member is stabbed, and Rebus is made to take part in a steakout of a local gangster. How could any of these cases possibly be connected? Of course, Rebus finds a way while he deals with his girlfriend kicking him out and his brother with a shady past coming out of jail.
I seemed to have problems focusing on this book. It could have been because I was trying to read it while in a crowded, noisy, and uncomfortable airport. But I found it to be a little unorganized and wasn't surprised at the end. There were also a few too many characters to remember who was doing what.
Not my favourite Rebus book, but it definitely won't stop me from continuing in the series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Rebus is back!!. This time there are a bunch of cases. There is the stakeout of a man who might be connected to crime boss Cafferty. There is a colleague who gets bashed in the back of the head. There is a butcher who is stabbed. In the middle of all this, Rebus's girlfriend kicks him out and his ex-con brother needs a place to stay. This means that Rebus is sleeping on the couch in the place he had rented to students and his brother gets a closet to sleep in.

I found that the number of things happening were just too many to keep straight. It was still a great mystery but just too cluttered.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 29, 2009
Mailed today to MsJoanna to continue the Rebus series.

Journal Entry 5 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Monday, August 03, 2009
Hooray -- I'm just about to start one of the earlier books in the Rebus series.