Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World

by Greg Critser | Nonfiction |
Registered by aetm of Austin, Texas USA on 5/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
The Americans are the fattest nation on this planet, says the cliche... but why? This book goes to search for the answers why and what has happened. It explains the history in food and politics of the past few decades, and how the invention of the Evil HFCS and marketing of cheap palm oil lead to this and then that...
This is scary read, but should be read be everyone who either 1) lives in US or 2) eats junk food or any preprocessed foods or 3) eats out regularly. Or drinks soda. Or doesn't understand why they don't lose weight.
It also has some success stories of schools where the fat was has been successful - all in small steps so there is hope.
It's really food, wait no it's history, politics, science, economics, statistics, education, self-help... you name it.

Journal Entry 2 by aetm at Ballincollig, Co. Cork Ireland on Monday, May 18, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (5/18/2009 UTC) at Ballincollig, Co. Cork Ireland

To nikwax :)
This is an interesting and scary history of why the Americans grew to be so big in a few decades...
Afterwords definitely to be read by my other half (even if that will mean a lot more cooking for me as a remedy), and well, by a lot of Americans or those interested in the whole range of food, politics, and history...

Journal Entry 3 by nikwax on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Excellent read - even if it's very US-centric. I feel that Europe is in a better situation, certainly with respect to the level of fast food present in schools and universities. The US seems to have dug itself into quite a deep hole on the fast food front.

I will be doing my best to avoid HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) from now on, out of respect for my liver, in fact I will be avoiding fructose in general.

This is a book that may seriously affect the way you eat ...

Journal Entry 4 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, June 07, 2009
Back on my res-pile, next for Dorng (and probably to continue the travel towards the US next..)

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Sokos in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/11/2009 UTC) at Sokos in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

To be released in the BC meet in Helsinki today.

If the book will be found in the wild...
To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!).

Journal Entry 6 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Thank you so much for bringing this book to our meet today!

I was the one telling about the tv-documentary about the bad eating habits in US. So now you might connect at least one face and name... sorry, we forgot to introduce ourselves to our quests!!

I'm not skinny and I theoretically know how to reduce myself, well easier said than done!! I just wonder how it's possible that it's entire nation of overweight people. Perhaps this book will give me some thoughts!

Journal Entry 7 by lottuli at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 12, 2010
This book was a really interesting read, though as a not-native English speaker, I had to check up some of the more scientific words, so this was a two way educational for me.

I sure know more about processed food after reading this book and it made me really think about my own eating habits too. Thanks for sharing, the book now heads to it's new home.

Journal Entry 8 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Thank you, Lottuli! I look forward reading this, it must be interesting - and maybe it will boost my weight-watching too.

Journal Entry 9 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Sunday, November 21, 2010
I agree with Lottuli, this wasn't easiest book to read but boy, it was scary! I suppose I don't think enough about the "background forces" behind some phenomenon in our society, even though one can guess that economis and politics are behind many things. Most of the medical facts were familiar to me because of my nurse's training, but still this book was a good reminder to watch my eating (especially being overweight myself).

Now sending this as a HGG-gift to someone in Finland.

Journal Entry 10 by wingdotdotwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Thank you, Chania! Fat Land arrived today accompanied by a museum postcard. Very nice HGG surprise:)

Journal Entry 11 by wingdotdotwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 28, 2011
This may sound weird, but I found this book easy and in parts even enjoyable to read. There was nothing new or unheard from a physiological and medical point of view. What interested me (and made reading exprience enjoyable) was the sociologal or social sciences aspect in fat.

Journal Entry 12 by wingdotdotwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
On it's way to a bookcrossing Postcrosser in Norway.

2011 "KEEP THEM MOVING" # 4

Journal Entry 13 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, April 03, 2011
Whee! This book arrived on Friday, April 1st, along with this wonderful Postcrossing card: http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/FI-1057089

Thank you so much for sending it, dotdot, it was an absolutely fantastic surprise. Made my day. :-) It's an issue I'm quite interested in, so this should be interesting. I've already started reading the book. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 06, 2011
I've read the book now, it was very interesting, a great read. I'll update this JE soon with more. :-)

Journal Entry 15 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/6/2011 UTC) at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway

This went to the BookCrossing meetup here in Oslo with me this afternoon and found an interested new reader. Yay! :-)

Journal Entry 16 by Ingalill at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 06, 2011
(Sorry if I had to add a new city (obcz), but all I got in the dropdown was -bydeler- and I have no idea in what bydel osloS is.)

Anyhow brought this home from todays BCmeeting.
Will have my better half read it first, then me.
(The evils of cornsyrup & cornfed cows needs to be shouted from the
rooftops.)