Girl In Hyacinth Blue

by Susan Vreeland | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 014029628x Global Overview for this book
Registered by princess-peapod of San Luis Obispo, California USA on 11/3/2008
Journal Entry 1 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, November 03, 2008
Nothing links man to man like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."
~Walter Sickers

Wanna know why Book Crossing is great?
Because you are reusing, you know recycling!
Save a book today. Don't throw it away set it free!
Thank you for taking the time to visit us at Bookcrossing.
If this is your first visit to our site...welcome!I'm sure you'll find it fun!
All over the world people are following the journey of their books through BookCrossing, by making an entry you will be helping keep this book's unique history up-to-date. You can make your first journal entry about this book now! Just tell us where you found it...don't worry about giving your name, you can remain anonymous if you wish!
"No two persons ever read the same book."
Edmund Wilson, critic

As Keats describes the scenes and lives frozen in a moment of time on his Grecian urn, so Vreeland layers moments in the lives of eight people profoundly moved and changed by a Vermeer painting a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Vreeland opens with a man who suffers through his adoration of the painting because he inherited it from his Nazi father, who stole it from a deported Jewish family. She traces the work's provenance through the centuries: the farmer's wife, the Bohemian student, the loving husband with a secret and, finally, the Girl herself Vermeer's eldest daughter, who felt her "self" obliterated by the self immortalized in paint, but accepted that this was the nature of art. Descriptions of the painting by people in different countries in various historical periods are particularly beautiful. Each section is read by a different narrator, some better than others. Several add dimension to the story and writing, while others are so intent on portraying the book's ethereal qualities they make the listener conscious of the reader instead of the language. Still, this is a delightful production.

"Second hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack." --Virginia Woolf

Journal Entry 2 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Saturday, November 11, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/14/2017 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

If you found this book while in the area of San Luis Obispo, CA. feel free to come by and check out Joe Mommas which houses our bookshelf! We also hold our local meetups on the first Tuesday of each month at 5pm there, please come join the fun! The books on the shelf are free to for you to read, enjoy and pass along to another!

Sending off to a fellow bookcrosser in a effort to clean shelves & send books into the world!!!

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 3 by princess-peapod at Little free library in San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, November 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/4/2018 UTC) at Little free library in San Luis Obispo, California USA

Paul Auster